Need Sharpening Advice for Spokeshave...
Hello,
Anybody use the Vertitas MKII sharpening system on spokeshave blades? If so, what settings did you use?
Thanks!
I hone mine at 30° - if that's what you are asking.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Veritas has an attachment for the MK II for spokeshave irons. I suspect you'll need that.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
DaveParkis said:

Veritas has an attachment for the MK II for spokeshave irons. I suspect you'll need that.

Yup. The small blade attachment, but it's not my favorite way of doing it because I find the blade shifts too easily. You could make your own short blade holder, but an easy way is secure the spokeshave blade to a full sized plane blade with 2 or 3 rare earth magnets (or double sided turner's tape). I've used that with all different kinds of honing guides and it works. Not as good as if someone would come up with a honing guide that will handle short blades, but until then . . .

Steve
If the jig doesn't offer a distinct advantage in speed, accuracy and simplicity over freehand honing then don't punish yourself with it. Learn to freehand hone. Free your hones and your butt will follow.....
Occasional musings on my blog:
bridgerberdel.wordpress.com
Thanks--I will get the small blade attachment from LV...
bridger said:

If the jig doesn't offer a distinct advantage in speed, accuracy and simplicity over freehand honing then don't punish yourself with it. Learn to freehand hone. Free your hones and your butt will follow.....

+1
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I've done it freehand and with the small blade attachment.

I prefer the attachment.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
Have you seen the one Paul Sellers made, it is pretty slick and made from scrap wood and some brass screws.

Steve
Window Guy said:

Have you seen the one Paul Sellers made, it is pretty slick and made from scrap wood and some brass screws.

Steve

No, I need to find this.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite