Projects in Progress
I like to see what other people are building but I haven't seen many new postings of stuff in progress. So I thought I would post something to start it off. I have been working on these for awhile getting close to being done with these three I built two more but they are done and gone. I was nervous about all the hand cut dovetails but once I got the hang of it it wasn't bad. They are in my opinion kind of complicated (well at least detailed so you need to pay attention to the little details for it all to come together) It was fun as I also cut all the logs on my mill to build these except the drawers which I found some curly maple at Home Depot that I had to have. I didn't figure out per board foot on the maple I probably would have been stunned!

Looks nice! I've always thought they would be a great gift. Any secret compartments? Do you do any stringing or design on them? Keep us posted as you finish up.

Lonnie (Mr Eddie)
That is a ton of work!

And they're looking fantastic.

I'm in the final stages of a spice cabinet I started um quite some time ago.
~Dan.
The door panels are all crotch wood no stringing, and the boxes have a secret or two, which is kind of fun. I have the doors made i just need to clean them up a little, and trim off the horns and final fit them.
I started the very first two of the five so long ago i couldn't even find my original plans so I had to modify them to fit the plan I have now. It felt good to finish those first two after years. When I called Horton for the hardware they didn't even have me in the computer and it went back I thought he said 8 years
Very nice. I really like the size of these. It's nice to be able to do all the different processes this plan requires without having to do it in a large piece.

Curly maple at Home Depot? Just want to make sure I'm reading this right. I have a hard time finding a straight 2 x 4' at mine.

8 years. Hold on, let me show my wife this.....

Awesome
A second Home Depot Curly Maple data point (this one in San Diego)

It was in their regular Maple bin... just a lucky grab ... ~7.25 wide, ~$6/ linear foot (7 foot stick)

-Brian
Very cool little chests. One would take patience. Five of them?? You're a rock!

My contribution to Projects in Progress is a corner cabinet I started about a week ago. Have 43 hours into it and feel like I should be a lot father along. Surprising how all the angles slows you down, not to mention the shop-made moldings.

Using solid poplar and birch ply. Started the doors today. Bottom door will be raised panel. Upper door will be glass. Will be painted.
Have to get some glass shelves made for the upper section. 3/16ths high strength glass sound right for that?

So, what'cha got going in the shop?? Hmmmm?

Best,
Bob
"All that I do or say is all that I ever will be"

Billy Joe Shaver, Old Five and Dimers Like Me
This is very similar to the Kansas City Fireslayer build along bookcase from the Woodsmith plans. I went with solid wood because I had some Ash I wanted to use up. For the back I used shiplapped maple. I'm not sure what the finish is going to be. I may do a darker stain on the case and a natural or light stain on the maple and shelves. It's going to house woodworking mags

One thing I learned... maple comes in many different shades and just as many grain patterns
Ash is much more predictable

Wow, agreed lots of details and work. Hand cut dovetails and fitting all of those drawers. They look great.