CK's Walnut Queen Bed
Nice clean work with some very nice looking walnut. I really like the simple lines and complimentary curves.

W/o trying to come off as a jerk, it would be a really good idea if you aren't going to use a blade guard (no splitter either, wow) to at least lower the blade on your TS when not using it, especially when I see that picture of your cute little helper hanging on it. That would also reduce damage to your nice work should it tip over. You really should put a splitter on it, as a minimum.

John
Looking good. Can't wait to see the finish on that beautiful walnut.
Looking great and I really love that design. I may have to steal it when I get around to making another bedroom set for the house.
jteneyck said:

Nice clean work with some very nice looking walnut. I really like the simple lines and complimentary curves.

W/o trying to come off as a jerk, it would be a really good idea if you aren't going to use a blade guard (no splitter either, wow) to at least lower the blade on your TS when not using it, especially when I see that picture of your cute little helper hanging on it. That would also reduce damage to your nice work should it tip over. You really should put a splitter on it, as a minimum.

John

John - Thanks for the kind words about the bed, no offense taken regarding the safety concerns. My Uni is a 1939 "four footer", the first year they were produced, and if it did come with an original guard it was long gone by the time I took ownership. I have been meaning to add a splitter and really don't have any excuse for not getting that done. As for lowering the blade I agree with your comments and generally make it a practice to unplug the saw and drop the blade when not in use although some of my pictures prove I'm not 100% consistent.
Scoony said:

Looking great and I really love that design. I may have to steal it when I get around to making another bedroom set for the house.

Thanks Scoony, if you "steal" the design it won't be from me... I spent a ton of time looking for a design that tripped my trigger and that would also take advantage of the wide walnut stock I had set aside for this project and this one from Vermont Wood Studios was what I finally settled on. I'm sure the dimensions and proportions aren't identical but I'd still say I'm just copying their design.
Nice wood and impressive work. Somebody will be sleeping like royalty!

---
See ya later,
Bill
You said something about difficulty when padding on shellac. I would like to point out that padding shellac is so simple that even I can do it. Make you a big thick pad of el cheapo micro fiber cloths. Get it pretty well saturated with the shellac of choice. When ready, have a mustard bottle full of fresh shellac in your off hand and the saturated pad in your main hand. Stroke from one side to the other, squirt a healthy shot(s) on the pad and stroke the other way. Rinse - repeat. Easy peasy.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Bump to keep this thread alive for when I actually have some progress to report...
Wow, super post. Nice build, cute kid, getting "all" of the planer involved, and sincerely hoping you get at least 3 weekends through the Winter where for some reason it's above 60 degrees. Just so you can get back to this blended woodworking story you've gotten a lot of us hooked on

Awesome
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I've been hoping for an update - so put a heater out there and get back to work !

I'm really looking forward to what finish you decide on because that's some really nice looking wood.

John