wood to go with cherry?
I'm building a dresser out of cherry and am thinking of using a complementary wood for the drawer fronts. I know it's common to use maple in such a case, especially figured maple, but I wonder if there's another wood that might work. I'm looking for something that's lighter than cherry but that might have an interesting grain pattern. The trouble with maple is that the grain is very muted. Any suggestions?
Curry maple is very interesting wood
I've always liked the combination of cherry and quartersawn sycamore.

Bob
"All that I do or say is all that I ever will be"

Billy Joe Shaver, Old Five and Dimers Like Me
Curly, tiger, quilted and/or birdseye maple are anything but muted. Here's a little something Dave Diaman posted recently:

" />

John
Yes, figured maple is not muted by any means. I'm actually looking for something more subdued, but still interesting. That's why I'm looking for a lighter wood where the grain is a little more pronounced than on regular maple. Not necessarily a lot, but enough it give it some interest. Here's a chest of drawers--I wonder what the wood on the drawer fronts is?
http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/1124...of-drawers
Also, James Krenov's "last cabinet" is made of a light wood with a lovely grain pattern:
http://www.davidfinck.com/lastcabinet.htm
Cypress is one choice.
How about something like sycamore. It would be lighter like maple but it could be much more understated.
My preference is quartersawn sycamore with cherry. The subtle pinks of the sycamore work really well with cherry to me. This is a small box I made with them.
another vote for q-sawn sycamore (with q-sawn cherry)

Kevin
Just keep in mind with sun exposure and time the Cherry will darken. Looking at light colored contrast woods you just have to be careful of shades. It may be all shades are acceptable, it's just they also bring about a different look.

All 3 of the pieces above are nice looking to my eye. Now the one below, not so much.........Same but different.

Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW