My biggest WW project ever
Tony, there will be maximum ventilation. Opening windows all around. I'm working on a plan for a window awning so the windows can be open in the rain, since we are averse to the typical RV-type awning. A 10-speed fan with thermostat and remote control that can exchange the air in less than a minute is already installed. It can run even in the rain, plus reverse into ceiling fan mode.

Stav, the empty box is 6'4" tall. Take off about 3" for ceiling and floor. We are both 5'6". We can jump up and down if we want. Bed will be about 30", still plenty of sit-up room.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson

"The rear was the hardest. Same curve cut out of 2x4, bottom edge 1.5" below ceiling weld (like the front), but with all the bumps back there it was difficult to hold it in position for screwing."

My first thought when I read that was, why is she attaching that while the van is moving on a bumpy road?

Looks good. Can only imagine trying to work with all the irregular curves and surfaces. Not to mention running a screw out the side somewhere.

Looking forward to progress pictures.

Ken
MsNomer said:

Tony, there will be maximum ventilation. Opening windows all around. I'm working on a plan for a window awning so the windows can be open in the rain, since we are averse to the typical RV-type awning. A 10-speed fan with thermostat and remote control that can exchange the air in less than a minute is already installed. It can run even in the rain, plus reverse into ceiling fan mode.

How do you plan to heat and cool the van? My '69 VW van had an Eberspacher gasoline heater, which worked great. Also, can you post a drawing of the layout of the interior of your van.

This article was on my Yahoo homepage this morning. His van is about the same size as yours.

https://homes.yahoo.com/blogs/spaces/man...48914.html
Nice project. Keep the updates and pics coming. I like these Sing Along With Mitch threads.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Loml likes the campers built on those Mercedes vans. Course they cost as much as a low end diesel pusher. Hard to justify the extra cost for the small one.
This Promaster is about the size of the 144"WB Sprinter. My total cost, including the upfit into a camper, will be about $35,000. Base cost for Sprinter would be ~$45-50,000.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

So, my wife and I want to know when you are coming to the Low Country a/k/a the South Carolina coast.
Bill, SC is on my list because my Davis ancestors are from there.

Lynden, the fan will be the only cooling. No heat except each other, or if desperate, run the engine or go for a ride. We have camped in a tent on the back of our truck for ten years with no more. We camp to hike, so our trips tend to be in milder weather.

I don't have a drawing, but imagine a VW Vanagon with the bed laid out and no upper cabinetry--bigger. This floor is 73" x 122".

Crosswise 4' x 6' bed in back, about 30" tall, with about 6" space to the rear door and 12" to rear of sliding door opening, which is 49". Passenger-side 2' of bed will fold over (without discombooberating bedding) to reveal 10" insulated wheel well enclosure and 14" walkway to rear. Storage above wheel well enclosure accessed from top. Small "end table" on the rear side, a more substantial cabinet on the front side probably housing the potty and having a seat at the side door for removing/putting on boots.

Lengthwise cabinet with counter and sink behind driver, 48" - 52" long, 16" - 18" deep, about 36" tall. This will house auxiliary battery, etc., and water jugs, maybe coolers in insulated compartment. A table will hinge from its forward end (like airplane tables on exit rows) to service the cab seats swiveled to the rear.

Under the bed, a "chest of drawers" approximately 32" wide, 27" tall and 30" deep. The remaining 18" depth of the bed facing the rear is flexible as of now. It could contain all of the storage boxes we now use in the truck!!!

I do not anticipate any storage above window sill height except coat hooks front and rear. We shouldn't need it and I like the openness.

There will be a secret compartment for laptops, etc. I'm pretty proud of its location.

I have seen Vandog's blog and other similar ones. LOML would never consider it, but if I were widowed while I am still healthy, I would seriously consider full-timing, maybe even in Europe. Fortunately, that is unlikely because he is as healthy as I am, and it would be hard to lose my shop.
Carolyn

The Floor:

There were a few compromises, but the floor is in.

One of my first purchases was a Marmoleum remnant as we passed through Portland, OR, last fall. The manufacturer says material and surface must be warm for 7 days before and 7 days after installation, and an installers' forum had reports of failure even near an outside door in winter, so we decided to do the install onto the plywood in our den, then transport the finished floor to the van.

This required two compromises, or at least we thought it did. Before we knew we would have help, we decided that 1/2" was the most we could handle, though I would have preferred 3/4". As it turned out, one neighbor who came to help could have twirled the thing on his finger.

The second compromise we still consider as necessary--we installed in two sections with a seam through both surface and ply between the wheel wells. I assumed and accepted that this seam would not look good, but most of it will be hidden. The result is actually better than I had hoped for. Fortunately, wood glue with floor shavings is the recommended repair, so I could glue the seam and "repair" it in the same operation.

Underneath, I have the factory rubber mat, which was also useful as a pattern, and a layer of Silent Blue closed cell foam underlayment. Before the floor was fastened down, I walked on it and realized that the SB's Mylar backing was squeaking. It was easy to peel off.

We bought Sprinter tie-downs with cups from e-Bay. Much more elegant than the Promaster's.

The end result, minus trim pieces at the doors:

Carolyn

I think it looks nice, but bigger pictures would help...
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry