My biggest WW project ever
This is a really cool project!
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
MsNomer said:

Sportsmobile isnt the only game in town.

Hymer

Safari Condo, whose site is down for maintenance right now

PleasureWay

Winnebago

However, all of these are much more complex than I'd ever want. Safari Condo's short version is the only one I'd ever consider were I buying. IIRC, I'd have to about double my cost to do so.

In Britain alone, there are at least 13 upfitters for this van. Hymer may be the beginning of European upfitters stepping into the American market now that their platform is available here.

And now there is the Misnomerbago
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Carolyn, Does that vehicle have front or rear wheel drive; or to put it another way, does it have any tow capacity?
It can carry about 4,000 lbs and tow about 5,000 lbs. Guys on the PM forum who tow a lot say it is effortless. We probably never will.

Front wheel drive.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
Sounds like taking a boat along would be no problem

BTW, what's the PM forum?
I didn't see that last post before we left for Europe. PM is the Promaster forum. In addition to general conversations about the vehicle itself, there's a section for folks building their own campers. Imagine WoodNet if everybody were new and everybody were working on the same project--at least starting with the same "block of wood." Kinda like a Pinewood Derby, the results are all over the place.

I had less than 3 weeks in miserable heat to get prepared for the first real trip. We got the fourth window in with virtually no hassle, then tackled electrical and tying down the bed.

My role in the electrical was to build the battery box--my first adventure kerf-bending plywood. After kerfing to the top layer, the ply still wouldn't budge. A douse of boiling water, then no problem. The real hassle was that LOML gave me interior dimensions w/o accounting for the tie-down, so I ended up routing the interior to accommodate. The end result is quite solid and functional--it will also be a footrest when the driver seat is swiveled.

LOML then installed a 100ah AGM house battery with a Surepower separator and fuses. No way do I understand any of it, but it worked on the first try. For now it powers the roof fan and an Engel 43qt chest freezer, plus some USB charging ports.

I don't remember who suggested cross dowels for the bed assembly, but I want to say Thank You again. LOML made brackets from bed frame angle to tie down the assembly to the floor and to support a bank of boxes we had used in the truck tent. It was soooo easy to disassemble, assemble as necessary and the assembly is rock solid.

The only major items left are lights, potty, and kitchen cabinet to house fridge and a sink.

Our first night was spent in Ellis Kansas:

Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

I wondered how this "little" project was coming along? Looks like it's going to be pretty neat.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
Great project, great adventure. Keep us posted.
I was supposed to spend 2 weeks in Titcomb Basin with LOML and his brother, but I snuck out early for a 3-day solo "vancation." I spent a lot of that time contemplating what I have done right and wrong.

Right:

The overall design: I love the sense of light and space. Very glad I have white ceiling, big windows, no upper cabinets, large open space.

The insulation: After sitting in the sun for days, the van was not oppressively hot. I am very pleased.

The fridge: Engel chest fridge is a dream.

Wrong:

Bed is about 3-4" too high. Remedy will mean remaking the wheel well enclosures; the rest will be easier. This mod will cost about 5cf of storage space. I'd rather not do that, but the bed is awkward to get onto, the bed covers cover the lower part of the windows and it's awkward to look out the windows while lying down. All of these are important to me.

Overall, though, I'm tickled pink with how this is shaping up. Next project: drawers.
Carolyn

That is one heck of a pond/lake pic. Awesome.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11