Ok...sharpening jigs
Ha! That didn't take you long. Thought I might have had you stumped. I was thinking of a round rod the same diameter as the inside of the blade, wheels on either end of the right diameter to match the bevel and some way of holding the blade. The whole works would rotate (very slightly ) as the edge was abraded, maintaining the same angle relative to its curved shape. Probably doable by a good machinist (that leaves me out ), but a lot more thrashing around and 10X as expensive than your solution. AND I have an Eclipse guide.
blackhat said:

This is getting better and better.

I think we've got the right guy on the job.
A little update. I've redesigned the first unit and I like it even more. The first two test models should go out next week to two people and then they will send them on to two other people. I contacted one of the machinists that made some vise parts for me and asked him to give me a quote on making 100 pieces. If Greg and Dave like it as much as I do I might invest in 100 jigs.
Trying to think of a snappy name, my son suggested "Awesome Spokshave Sharpener" but I'm not sure I like the initials. We would need a donkey for a mascot.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
How about:

Jim's Jig

Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Boatman53 said:

A little update. I've redesigned the first unit and I like it even more. The first two test models should go out next week to two people and then they will send them on to two other people. I contacted one of the machinists that made some vise parts for me and asked him to give me a quote on making 100 pieces. If Greg and Dave like it as much as I do I might invest in 100 jigs.
Trying to think of a snappy name, my son suggested "Awesome Spokshave Sharpener" but I'm not sure I like the initials. We would need a donkey for a mascot.
Jim

Jim stopped by, he was visiting local relatives and gave me a call and came over to the shop, bringing his two jig variants, and I gave them a tryout. I was impressed by both, the redesigned jig was very user friendly, held odd shaped blades, and skew chisels, very well, and the rollers registered well on wide and narrow stones. The mortise chisel jig was very ingenious, with a sliding registration plate and a half moon clamp, very nice. Both were solid, machined very well, and well made. We discussed various improvements in both, and I think Jim has two winners here, and while I'll let him unveil the improved designs (these were prototypes), I think they will be even better.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Thanks Rich, but does this mean you're going to start using a honing guide?

Steve
Thanks Admiral, always great to see you. I just got home so had about 4 hours to think about some of your suggestions, in my head they are great and I think I can make them work. Sorry Dave, Greg and Steve it's going to be a bit longer, but I think worth the wait.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
Steve Friedman said:

Thanks Rich, but does this mean you're going to start using a honing guide?

Steve

LOL.

Actually, I have 3. An eclipse, the original LV jig, and a General knockoff of the Stanlet 200. I put the eclipse in my traveling toolbox. I honestly can't remember the last time I used any of them, but Jim's jig is better than any of them, and I think it will be getting better.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
No problem here. As for a name, how about "THE Jig"?
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
So cool to see the enthusiasm and the thoughtfulness going into the creation of this device.

It reminds me of how the thinking and ingenuity of one person, or a small group, can sometimes outstrip the R&D departments of larger companies.

Jim, there's a popular local drinking establishment here in town that is named "Jimmy's Jigger". Perhaps some form of that would be a good moniker for your gizmo.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com