Hope chest
Beautiful Big Dave. Are there plans available for this project?
Marc
Sun City, AZ
Thanks, everyone!

This was a fun project for me. Not only was it for "family", but it came together better than a few other projects of the same sort...

To answer a few comments:

Bill_de said:

Dave,

If you want to show off your projects, you need to find a new venue as a staging area.

The chest is beautiful. Even the way you handled the cedar in the interior stands out.

But, when you post your pictures, the shop is a big distraction. A very nice distraction, but a distraction just the same.

It was trying to rain today, otherwise I would have taken the pics outside...

Steve N said:

Wow Dave, that is nice looking today, gonna be positively killer in a few years once that Cherry gets toasted.

I've been thinking the same thing for a couple weeks now. Like so many projects, there's that moment when you've got a few pieces dry-fit where you can see what the end result is going to look like. The first time I saw the panels paired with the frames, I started to get a little excited...

Superglide said:

Second thought: Your shop is way too clean.

Actually, it's not. There are those on here who have seen it "clean". Give them a little while to chime in with a comment or two about the chips on the floor around the drill press and/or the sawdust on the router table. Not to mention the mess on the bench near the wall.

Paladin said:

Are there plans available for this project?

The plans are from an old issue of WOOD magazine. I don't have it handy right now, and I'm heading out tomorrow to deliver it to my friends in Colorado. I'll try to remember to get the information to you when I get back next week.

Thanks again, guys! I really appreciate the kind words!

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
I join the others in saying, "Wow! Well done."

LOML saw the pics and like it, too.

Please do share the magazine issue info when you get back.

Oh, and while that may not be clean by your shop standards, even LOML commented on how well organized your shop is.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
You clever rasscale. The positioning of the cedar lining is the frosting on the cake. Well done. No -- exceptionally well done.
Awesome job on the hope chest, I've considered making one for a long time and this may just push me over the edge to actually do it.

A quick google search shows that the plans are from Wood Magazine under Heirloom Hope Chest originally featured in WOOD Issue 142, June 2002.

Thanks for posting pics of the hope chest, just gotta keep the wife from seeing how clean and organized your shop is.

-jason
tocws2002 said:

A quick google search shows that the plans are from Wood Magazine under Heirloom Hope Chest originally featured in WOOD Issue 142, June 2002.

Thanks for posting pics of the hope chest, just gotta keep the wife from seeing how clean and organized your shop is.

-jason

Jason, that is it. Thanks!
Marc
Sun City, AZ
That is very beautiful, as others have already stated. Making us Daves proud!

I agree with Superglide's second point. Waay too clean.

Dave
Beautiful work, always nice when the project goes to someone you know... makes the work so much more satisfying.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Nice project and nice shop too!
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK
Love it. Really like how you handled the lining.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.