Traveling with Tools
I signed up for a hand tool class that will require a bit of traveling to attend (just a few hours of driving each way) and I'd like some recommendations on traveling with chisels, scrapers, and planes. I was thinking of just setting everything in a bag and generally not tossing the bag around. The chisels have the little plastic tips to cover the edge, but everything wouldn't have much protection.

I should mention that I'm in the process of moving too, so any suggestions of making something quickly won't really work. Everything outside of said tools are packed, disconnected, and disassembled.
I travel to the Marc Adams school twice a year. I usually put my chisels in a tool roll for traveling- keeps edges and blades from getting nicked up.

I have softside toolbags and a wooden toolbox i made. I just wrap what shouldn't get banged up with a towel or rag and they take the ride just fine. No issues to date and I've probably made that trip (250 miles) 5 or 6 times. Heading there April 6th as a matter of fact, maybe I'll see you there.
pat
Pat Zabrocki said:

I travel to the Marc Adams school twice a year. I usually put my chisels in a tool roll for traveling- keeps edges and blades from getting nicked up.

I have softside toolbags and a wooden toolbox i made. I just wrap what shouldn't get banged up with a towel or rag and they take the ride just fine. No issues to date and I've probably made that trip (250 miles) 5 or 6 times. Heading there April 6th as a matter of fact, maybe I'll see you there.
pat

I'm actually taking a class with Jeff Miller in Chicago. We invited Jeff to ArnFest last year and he gave a pretty good demonstration and I wanted to do something this spring since I knew I'd be shop-less for a little while.

I lived in Indy for 4 years and I'm in the process of moving back to Ft Wayne, IN but I've never been able to work out taking a class at the Marc Adams school. I went there once to meet up with Robert Lang, but that was as close as I ever got.
Before you put any of your planes in a bag, I recommend you wrap them individually with a rag, towel, or bubble wrap. That will protect them from being banged around. I've also traveled with my chisels in a tool roll.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
You can go a long way with tools carefully packed into a satchel, a suitcase, or even a laundry basket. Wrap the delicate ones, and set the heavier ones on the bottom.

The other option would be to nail together a travel tool chest. It wouldn't need to be anything fancier than a 6-board chest made of glued-up pine boards. Here's a build-along on mine.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
One thing folks haven't mentioned (maybe too obvious ) is to retract the irons on your planes. I sometimes put a strip of painter's tape over the sole to protect it, too.
Phil S. said:

One thing folks haven't mentioned (maybe too obvious ) is to retract the irons on your planes. I sometimes put a strip of painter's tape over the sole to protect it, too.

I planed on doing that at least. I guess it will just be a quick wrap and pack for this trip.
How about a Japanese tool box? They go together quickly, I think Wilbur made one.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
I use socks for most of my tools when travelling, big sports socks for planes, smaller socks for block plane, shoulder plane, etc. I have a 2 drawer Menard plastic drawer tool box, keep a set of road tools, so I don't have to pack and unpack every time. For the unique for that week stuff i carry a bussing tray.wrap saw with small hand towel. Don't forget ear protection. Ray
While I have never travelled to take a class, I have travelled to work, and have taught classes.

I keep what I call my grab and go box. It has the most commonly used small hand tools, up to what I can easily enough carry. It is a steel two drawer lift lid box.

I have what I call my long box. It will hold a full size hand saw, steel square and a jointer plane along with a mid size level and other items too long for the grab and go box.

For teaching I'm packing items from the shop rather than using an organized sitework kit. I make good use of flip lid plastic totes, the ones that hold 8-10 gallons. Planes and stones get wrapped in rags.
Occasional musings on my blog:
bridgerberdel.wordpress.com