large cherry salad bowl
Loved the bowl and the finish.

I have never wet sanded a bowl. What is your technique? Do you saturate the bowl first and sand with dry paper, or dip the paper in the solution and sand a dry bowl?
ChuckO1234 said:

Loved the bowl and the finish.

I have never wet sanded a bowl. What is your technique? Do you saturate the bowl first and sand with dry paper, or dip the paper in the solution and sand a dry bowl?

I have a 4" PVC pipe cap I fill with the mix that I periodically dip the sandpaper into. Slow speed is best.

Here's a couple hard earned tips: Wear a water resistant shop apron, full face visor, and an old shirt. Plus an old shower curtain in back of your lathe is a good idea.

I also got some of those magnetic sheets that you use to cover hvac vents and use them to protect the lathe ways.

Yeah, it's messy. But worth EVERY bit
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
Very nice details that I really like on your bowl BB. I have a few cherry blanks that are a touch smaller in diameter than yours so I think I'll try some of your detail work on them.
Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA
Very nice bowl. Is Watco food-safe?

Steve
I'll probably start an all out war with this but,.....

Just about any finish will be food safe as long as it is allowed to dry and harden. I've been using Watco's Danish oil now for about 15 years and never had an issue.
See ya around,
Dominic
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
"Cure" is the word. The finish should be odor-free if it's cured. It may seem hard days or even weeks before. When WATCO was phenolic, it outgassed quickly. Not so in the current formulation. Warm and dry and lots of air to cure.

I tell folks to wipe the bowl with vinegar before use, to kill bacteria who may be hiding in gaps in the finish. After all, most any dressing has vinegar, so a cursory wipe is no real offense.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
beautiful bowl, Love cherry!
Nice work...she'll love it Dom..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I finally gave it to my sister last weekend. She was very happy with it.
See ya around,
Dominic
Very beautiful bowl. Thanks for sharing the finish in detail. I'm still learning and appreciate the info.

Doug