Is it possible to make my own
Slick.

Can I just buy 1/4" metal and grind my own and then put a handle on it?

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
With the right material it would be an interesting exercise in black smithing. It would require some forging and shaping beyond a grinder. A slick is a pretty specialized tool. What do you need one for? How about finding an old 2" chisel and making a longer handle?
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

I'm sure it can be done with the right knowledge and tools.

There is a place near me that offers a how to class.

http://www.tillersinternational.org/till...atalog.pdf

I'd like to take a few of their classes someday.
Particularly if you think outside the box a bit. I went to a yard sale once, and a guy was making something that required a drawknife. He'd welded his own - cutting edge, handles welded on at 90 degrees. Looked terrible, resembled a drawknife only in the vaguest way; seemed to work fine.

Your issue will be figuring out how to attach the handle efficiently. Slicks are paring tools, so you won't need a handle attachment that can take shock. Properly, as I understand it, slick handles are at a slight angle to the edge, for clearance.
What does a slick look like?

Tom
A chisel on steroids. 2 to 4 inch wide blade and a long handle meant for two hands or even pushing from the shoulder.
Blackhat

The issue is hardening the steel. First off you need to start with tool steel... not the low carbon stuff at the hardware store. After shaping, you'd have to harden and temper it. That process varies widely depending on the tool steel alloy. I've built them with removable blades. I went this route to make sharpening easier and allow multiple blades for the tool. You might think about adapting a thick plane blade for a do it yourself slick.
Lazarus Handplane Co. Slick Chisel by Lazarus 13, on Flickr
paring 3 by Lazarus 13, on Flickr
Doja cool. I like that idea. Took a bit more than a grinder to build it but it's a nice job of design and fabrication.
Blackhat

Hey Arlin: Watch this video of making a slick. It doesn't have to be this complicated and I think you could fashion one out of annealed O1 steel from McMaster Carr and then temper it with a propane torch. But this is a cool video of one of the top makers.
Bill
https://vimeo.com/38165983
He used epoxy to make sure the handle didn't fallout!!!!!!!!!!!
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset