Jewelry Box Finished
Stunning Allan,

Very nicely done. I too would love to see some more build pictures.

Steve
Steve N said:

I like those knobs, but am now confused I had thought them to be Wenge.

I had 3 choices for knobs before I turned them. I really wanted ebony (same as the pic in the book), but the LOML wanted something less conspicuous. I was going to use cocobolo, but the molding was taken from a very large slab, and I didn't want to rip off a strip just for 3 fairly small knobs. The desert ironwood was a pen blank I had, and it matches pretty well with the cocobolo. The wenge was wet sanded with the finish multiple times to get the glossy, smooth look. After probably 4 or 5 coats of wet sanding, I then took it down to about 400 grit before the very last coat. I'm very pleased with the finish.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Nicely done. Love the wenge/CM combo. Is the wenge quarter sawn?
Good looking box.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Very, very good looking box!

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
jestrada said:

Nicely done. Love the wenge/CM combo. Is the wenge quarter sawn?

The wenge is pretty close to quarter sawn.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Steve Friedman said:

Stunning Allan,

Very nicely done. I too would love to see some more build pictures.

Steve

Unfortunately, I didn't take any pics along the way, so the build process is relegated to my post on the process.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Would you mind sharing pictures of the drawer interiors or are they already filled with jewels?!

I would like to build jewelry boxes for my daughters and I like the clean look of this box.

Thanks,
Doug
I didn't take pics of the build sequence. I was kind of pressed for time. Here's a pic of the dry fit of the dividers for the drawers. It was made before I sanded them and added the felt bottoms to the two drawers with dividers. The top drawer (with the ring holder) was lined with black leather from a crafts scrap bag from Michael's. I used 1/4" poplar. I rounded over the tops. This pic shows some of my ugly mistakes. I used a notched lap joint for the egg crate dividers. I used a housed rabbet for the drawers. You can see that I started with 1/2" stock for the drawers, but when I set up the housed rabbet, I instinctively used 3/8" instead of 1/4" rabbets. Hence the extra dividers along side the walls of the drawers. The final drawers when all glued up and liners installed don't quite look so amateur. Most important to me was the exterior appearance. Some day I might re-make new drawers with dovetails.

Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Gorgeous. Great craftsmanship. They finish look great too.