How to ship saws?
I have a few 'extra' saws that I've been thinking about selling, but finding a saw sized box isn't easy. Those that I've found are sold only by the 20-count.

Anyone have an easy and inexpensive solution? Bigger boxes cost more to ship and you have to spend more on padding. I know the shorter saws will fit in the flat rate board game boxes, but that's almost $20 to ship.

I've found a source for boxes sized 32x3x12, which I think will fit almost any saw, for about $3 ea after having them shipped to me, which seems pretty reasonable. Any other ideas?
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
http://www.badaxetoolworks.com/build-gre...ng-box.php

This works with shoebox boxes, and USPS 1095 boxes. Best part: they are free.

If you need to ship a lot of saws, buy custom boxes. It will save you a lot of time in the long run.
www.hyperkitten.com Funny Name, Good Stuff.

Old Tools, Woodworking, Blog, Tools for Sale.

This is how I ship saws. I would recommend adding foam blocks in the end of the box to provide additional support. Stuff the middle of the box with newspaper. Shipping via USPS Priority is generally under $15.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
enjuneer said:

This is how I ship saws. I would recommend adding foam blocks in the end of the box to provide additional support. Stuff the middle of the box with newspaper. Shipping via USPS Priority is generally under $15.

And stuff the paper on BOTH sides of the saw blade. Damage can come from any direction.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Greg,

Pack All or All Pack off Chouteau and 33rd st in KC north is a box manufacturer. They have almost every size you can think of and they sell in low amounts. They have cheap packing peanuts too. You can call them and give them your size and they'll tell you what they have close. Google boxes or packing materials and you'll find them. Nice people and good service when you're there. It's a very quick in and out transaction.

I scrounge boxes wherever I can. Fluorescent tube boxes work great for one or two saws. For a bunch of saws, a box from a roll of ice and water shield works well.

If you can find large boxes or sheets of cardboard, just cut out your own boxes. Cardboard from appliances or windows and doors also provides a lot of material to work with.
I usually make my own boxes for individual saws.I get a sheet of cardboard, either from another box, or left over from a plywood delivery. I make it about 8 inches wide by 2 inches deep, and 4 inches longer than the saw. I take a piece of cardboard and fold it around the blade, securing it with stretch wrap. Then I pack the saw in the box with bubble wrap at the ends.
It works for me!
Rick W
I shipped a Disston thumb hole D-7 (I think) to another woodnetter. I disassembled the saw, placed the blade between two pieces of 1/4 plywood then wrapped all in bubble wrap and boxed in whatever was handy. Recipient was very happy with the packing. He also liked the saw. I don't think it fit in the USPS large, but maybe others will. I didn't want to chance any Neanderthals bending the goods.
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
Ditto JClark's recommendation. I've shipped and received saws this way many times. Newspaper fill w/bubble wrapped saw.
good luck
I thought Bad Axe did a pretty good job when I got one of their saws, but Harrell could take lessons from our own Ron B Bontz Saw Works I didn't take a picture of the bomb proof box that housed it, but below is where my saw, and a saw kit I bought from Ron were nestled into. Ron seems to be not only a fine saw builder, but a foam magician too. I forget a number, but there were several foam panels, and small parts of foam making sure nothing except a direct hit from a D 9 would mar my saw.

The saw and the kit plus build info, and a perfect drawing of the special handle Ron built for my TINY paws.

Ron was recently outdone though. I bought a hand plane from Mateo of The Lazarus Handplane Co. He handcrafted a puzzle box of wood (BB ply) around my plane, and I think the D 9 could have hit it with no damage. It was an art work, and a very functional super box all in one. I have pics, but don't have access to the card they are on right now, bummer.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW