FWW (August): "Backsaws that Can Do It All"
This article compares 18 carcase saws and suggests that one saw can do it all:

"It might be nice to have several backsaws-a small dovetail saw and a pair of larger saws (one rip, one crosscut) for tenons and other joinery. But its not necessary, because you can easily cut every furniture joint with just one carcase saw. Its big enough to cut case dovetails, as well as apron and frame tenons, but nimble enough for drawer dovetails. It doesn't matter it the teeth are filed for a ripcut, crosscut, or somewhere between, as long as they are sharpened so that the saw cuts quickly and tracks straight."

I'll be placing all my excess saws on the Swap and Sell forum, but while I'm taking all the photographs, I'd like to hear what others think about this one saw approach, and specifically the notion that the filing does not matter (rip/crosscut) regardless of the type of cut being executed (rip/crosscut).
I have many, many saws, probably over a hundred, with at least a dozen of those of modern manufacture. Over a year ago, after reading in some vintage book (can't remember at this time, if it was Wearing, Hayward or whoever), I started playing with the one saw idea. Trying my existing dovetail saws (Adria, Gramercy, several old Disstons) I found that the fine rip cut could cross cut just about as smooth as a cross cut, but the handle hang just didn't lend itself to comfort, for anything but a short CC.

I purchased a Pax sash saw from The Best Things, filed 14 tooth rip, with a closed handle. It rips beautifully and also cross cuts the same. The handle feels fine in my hand.

So could this saw do it all? Close, but no bananas! Where the difficulty comes into play are dovetails and the sash saw is just a bit too large to saw comfortably. I've done a few, but will not waste time doing more.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Can you use one backsaw for everything? Technically, yes, you probably could. You could use a single backsaw that way. Heck, you could use a single panel saw to make every single cut you would ever need, from small dovetails to long rips in thick material.

Is it a pleasurable and efficient way to work? No, I don't think so. A crosscut saw is slow when ripping, and a rip saw is rough for crosscuts. For myself, I find myself regularly using a tenon saw (rip), a carcase saw (crosscut), and a dovetail saw (rip). I could maybe do without the tenon saw, but only by using a full-sized handsaw to cut my tenon cheeks. But my backsaws work too well to reduce their number.

I haven't read the article, so I'm only talking from my experience here.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Pop WW blog recently praised a tool box saw as being really handy. Recent thread here about a saw?? Forget which one, but as it got off track into "one saws" I mentioned a Stanley tool box saw I keep in all my vehicles for that, if I have to cut a board in the wild. Another member took exception to my saying that. Anyhow a lot of print lately about a darn sight fewer saws, or a one saw. Joel recently put one on his list offered, though it is not inexpesnsive at all.

If everyone here was to turn a critical eye to what they have, and what they use on a regular basis, hand tool users are nothing but a bunch of fussy girls. I said it, come chop off my legs if you think it will change the truth, but this is a fact.

Now ladies if you will show the absolute need for all 37 of the hand saw types you have, I am listening. Same thing for planes, and chisels, no we don't need but a few, but darned if we can see our way to letting them go.

Ok seriously. I imagine using 2 or 3 different saws we will get slightly better results than a one saw. But you can get a fairly good cut from a throw away 15 buck saw, ripping, or crossing.........Comment.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
From a functional point of view, yes -- provided you have developed the control skill. Older woodworkers, like Paul Sellers, do most of the planing with just the #4, even jointing if they wish (which will need more care and time).

I don't like the idea of having just one saw as it means I have to sharpen it if it gets dull. I may not be in the sharpening mood! But I am not a tool collector and exercise good control of my will: I have five saws, including panel saws and that's it. Too many of anything means one day it will be a huge burden on me or on my family when the time comes to getting rid of them.

Simon
"One saw to cut them all."

Preciousssssssssss .............
I believe it was on this forum that I heard from one of our resident historians that back saws used to be filed rip and they were used for all joinery cuts. So, makes sense. Remember, a couple hundred years ago, it was all about production and less about a niche tool for every specific type of cut. For full size saws, the rip and crosscut make sense.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I suppose everyone will have their own unique perspective regarding how many saws are needed....because everyone performs differently in their woodworking pursuits. The Schwarz defined the 1st class, second class and third class saw cuts and it made sense to me. Once Ron Herman taught me to sharpen my saws, I found that I could always keep a sharp saw for each of those class cuts....so.....maybe I could manage to use just one saw....but...NO.... I don't use my saws just to make a cut. I use them to make me feel good about the cuts and as I glance around I can see furniture pieces with joinery cuts and remember making the cut....with pleasure. 1 saw...nah.

Don
When the teeth are fine (like 15 tpi or finer), then crosscutting with a rip tooth works allright. But I absolutely don't like a coarser ripsaw for crosscutting. It just works awfull.

And I sure like my 10 tpi tenon saw a lot better for cutting tenon cheeks then my much finer 15 tpi dovetail saw.

So I'd say: Bull!
"Need" has nothing to do with it.....It's what we "want" that matters!!!
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset