Help with paint on Unisaw
I started refurbishing this saw a while back and am finally getting back around to it. When I left off the tables were cleaned up, motor and bearings redone by Bill (Skizzo) and came out great. Small parts, egg cover and base painted and came out fine. I had been attempting to paint the cabinet and that's where the trouble started (and hasn't left).

The cabinet was in good shape, so a good sanding and I got painting. Halfway through I ran into a bad can of paint that screwed it up. So I resanded, got the can replaced and started again, and got another bad can - stopped spraying and wouldn't spray for all my attempts to fix.

So I got another replacement, resanded and tried again and what you see below is the result. The paint looks kind of striped, and there are rough areas. I've got several coats on it, followed all the directions, watch youtube videos. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Paint is Rust-Oleum Painters Touch Ultra Cover paint+primer (I started with regular primer anyway) in Dark Gray.

Is this not a good paint? Can it be buffed out somehow (never buffed paint before.) Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Carl

I used a can of Rustoleum and a foam roller to paint my Uni. Came out great.

Do you drive a WRX? I had one back about 10 years ago. It was a hoot, and an awesome car in the snow, too. Now I'm officially old as I have an Outback with an automatic transmission. Still awesome in the snow though.

John
Foam roller - never thought of that. Interesting, maybe worth a shot.

A bit of a story on the WRX name. I had ordered one when they first came out. A week before it arrived I was told I was being let go from my IT contract, so I didn't get the car thinking I'd wait until the job was stable. Then we got a dog, German Shepherd named Sabelle, so I started using the wrx4sabelle in anticipation of getting the wagon. Well, for various reasons I never got the wagon, so Sabelle had to ride in my Bronco instead. Sabelle's no longer with us so the name really doesn't apply to anything anymore. I still prefer the mini-wagon look of the older WRX, and yea, I'm probably more Outback oriented now, too.
Carl

Carl,

I am currently trying to spray the sheet metal base for a band saw I am working on. I am using XO rust rattle cans, and I am seeing the same striping effect that you seem to be having. I have not had this problem with the Rustoleum professional rattle cans (on smaller items).

I don't know if the problem is the paint, the humidity, my spray technique (too close, too far, too many short bursts instead of continuous, etc.), or the fact that the smooth sheet metal shows every flaw in my technique.

I decided I am going to change colors anyway because I don't like the color as much as I thought I would. I will have Sherwin Williams mix up a color from a color match code I found.

I might try a combination of brushing / rolling, or I might give the harbor freight purple HVLP gun a try. I have heard a lot of good things about it.

Steve
Steve
FYI, the HF purple gun, at least the one I have, has a 1.3 mm orifice which is good for really thin products like lacquer. Paint? Most would
require quite a bit of thinning to spray well.

John
My WRX was a black wagon. Loved it. And it was an able assistant transporting logs, too.

John
Thanks for the info. I just searched the old threads and model 66222, which was then renamed as 67181, was highly recommended.

I was hoping to spray an oil-based enamel. I might have to do some experimenting.
Steve
sand it , and use industrial enamel.

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

A WRX towing a log - now that's something you won't see around here

So for the foam rolling you used a regular spray can and rolled afterwards?

Not sure my compressor (Makita MAC2400) can run a spray gun.
Carl

No, I bought a quart can of paint to use with a 4" foam roller. I was using Rustoleum's Hammered paint and it came out great. I can't swear that it will work as well with "normal" paint, but I would not hesitate to try it.

John