Thanks for all the dovetail info, particularly this video
I have been using some spare time daily to tinker around in my shop. Now that I am retired I have the time. Always wanted to learn hand cut dovetails but thought they would be too difficult.

This video was z giant step for me in teaching me the "no measure" method of layout. Now I know what those dividers, rattling around my toolbox, are for. Thanks to whomever originally posted this.

web page

I have become a tails first guy. While learning I am only using SYP which I re-dimension to 1/2" with planes. The last point I want to make is that my sawing technique improved considerably when I learned to let the weight of the saw do the cutting and not forcing it.
David from Cleveland, Ohio
David, you should get hold of the dovetail DVDs that Rob Cosman puts out. They are technically excellent. That divider trick is on the DVDs. It was taught to Rob by Alan Peters.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I have posted that video several times, but cannot take any credit for it. All the credit goes to Megan Fitzgerald of PWW magazine, as that is her on the vid. Around here she goes by elinourrumming, and sometimes hits hand tools, so if you see her in a thread say Hi, and let her know you liked her layout vid. She will be tickled.

I don't know if any one person can get the salient point across for every instance of woodworking, so just digest as many videos as you can, now that you know how to make a hand cut, it's easy to weed out the trash Making your style a combo of many other peoples, is probably how most of the good woodworkers got that way. Always remember, a lot of ways to skin a cat, knowing 5 or 6 of them can get you out of a jam, if just one doesn't work
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I'm one of those Pin first guys, and I think this pair of videos really explain that process as well as any I have seen.

part 1

part 2

Maybe you could try a corner to see what you think

This DT saddle is similar to the one he made. Try 14*

LEE VALLEY

Have fun
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Thanks for pointing me to videos I have not seen. You are correct in saying what I do has become a co-mixture of all I have seen.

The method I use to remove waste is a result of watching Paul Sellers videos on Youtube. I live in an apartment and a no-pounding method is necessarily quiet.

This process became very gratifying once I was able to repeatable produce strong joints.

Thanks again.
David from Cleveland, Ohio
Bump
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite