Vice Jaw - Chop Lining
Apart from the traditional leather lining, what other materials have you used with success to line the chops or jaws of your vices?

Automotive cork gasket material comes to mind. Does that frighten anyone?

And...

What adhesives do you recommend?

Thank you!
Ag
Wood?

I would not use adhesive just have it lap over the top.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Cork. You can buy the self-adhesive squares at craft stores or even Walmart that are used to make bulletin boards. Maybe not as grippy as leather, but still pretty good. Just an idea, because I haven't tried it, but I wonder how good the stuff would be that you line tool drawers with. I'm thinking the smooth grippy plastic sheets.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I've used cork for many years. Glued on. Works great!
Joseph Connors

The new Golden Rule .....
Those with the Gold make the rules!
When I was starting out, wood was the preferred liner. The use of leather is a more recent re-innovation, and one I applaud.
I used leather and it has worked well: any reason not to use it?
I am using cork glued to magnetic sheets for my pattern makers vice.
Philip1231 said:

I used leather and it has worked well: any reason not to use it?

None. But I don't have any, and I do have a sheet of cork gasket stock. And the NAPA is just across the street if I want more.

Thanks everyone for your replies!
Ag
The non-skid drawer liner works great, but gets chewed up pretty quick. When I resaw with my Roubo style frame saw, my leather lined vise jaws wont hold, but if I wrap the stock in shelf liner it doesn't move!

For the leather lining I used hide glue.

Jonathan

I only regret the tools I didn't buy!

“Think about it: Everything with a power cord eventually winds up in the trash.” John Sarge
Cork 12x12" tiles from Wallyworld ($10?) hide glued on. One warning - the edges spall off a bit. But grippy as stink.

In Japan, there's probably a WoodNet equivalent where they're debating about Western chisels being a lot like Japanese plumbers. - AHill