Air compressor set up
A while back I got a 60 gallon air compressor. I have it wired for use, but am currently just using air for powering air driven tools, and am coming right off the compressor. Future plans are for some paint/finish spraying, and even with the tools only I think doing something to eliminate oil, and water in the line make sense. What I am looking for is what are you using your compressor for, and how do you have it set up. Pics would be awesome.

I do have a wall at my disposal right behind the compressor, and could build out a plywwod sheet to mount filters on.

TIA
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I use a Camair desiccant air dryer/filter, I Tee off just before the dryer for shop air and have shut a off valve before the dryer plus another regulator (in addition to the one on the compressor) after the dryer. Works well and the filter elements are not that expensive, I usually need to replace it about once a year.

No photos but there it is.
Steve, I have the simplest set up possible, and have had no problems spraying waterbornes and shellac. I also run a few air tools and nail guns. I have a 60 gal tank, too, sitting in my garage. Directly off the tank is a common separator/regulator. From there I run a hose to a hose reel in the garage, and another hose into my basement shop. For the nailers and air tools, I do nothing more; they get air straight from the regulator. I use the same hoses for spraying. All I do is add a cheap little in-line filter at the gun inlet, just upstream from the gun's mini regulator. I change the filter about once a year. I've never had any oil/water get into the sprayed finish. I thought I'd need to put in a good dessicant/filter combo for spraying, but so far that need has not materialized.
http://www.sharpe1.com/sharpe/sharpe.nsf...ing+Layout
Drops go up then down.
Rick L said:

http://www.sharpe1.com/sharpe/sharpe.nsf...ing+Layout
Drops go up then down.

That is how we did our lab air piping at work, plus we had a big chiller right after the compressor to condense out as much water as possible prior to the dessicant filter. If we didn't we'd get about as much water as air blowing out of the ports. That's why I thought I'd need a lot more than what turned out necessary with my home shop setup. No argument that the piping arrangements shown in the link are good, just that it may not be necessary depending upon where you live and how much air you use. If you live in the desert SW, for instance, you might not need much of anything besides a filter/regulator. On the other hand, if you live in the SE you probably need over sized filters. I'm still shocked that I can spray in the Summer w/o problems, living in WNY where the humidity is often 60% or more.

John
John I've been wondering about those inline filters, good the hear an endorsement from you on them.

Here is average weather for SW Ohio/Cinci Humidity flexes wildly through the year with highs in the early winter, and mid to late Summer, sometimes with weeks of 95% or higher, then we have lows sometimes to the 20's or 30%. When it's humid like it's been this week, and following all the rain we have had, you can make a fist, and start some rainfall

I'll probably go with the bells and whistles wall mounted filters, and might start using a point of use filter when it's higher humidity.

Thanks

GW
Here's my set-up...

The compressor feeds my air header through a flex-hose I had made at a local hose shop. Looping the hose upward helps keep some of the liquids from exiting into the header.

You can see the 3/4" black pipe header running around the shop near the ceiling with 1/2" pipe drops in a few locations. I used Wilkerson filter/regulators at each station with Flexeel hoses.

I get very little moisture at the regulators...

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Thanks Dave. Pipe Black cast, or old tarnished Copper?

I think I will go lo tech and have air lines out when using the compressor around the place, rather than having permanent pipe runs, but I think on my main wall I want it to be very substantial, so if I pull on an air hose, I don't take it off the wall. That loop looks like a winner

GW
Ok let me ask a question. For my little filter, maybe another filter, regulator line up. going upward, sideways, or sideways at an angle? Also a lower drain, or not needed? Compressor has a functional and easily accessible bottom drain.

What I am thinking about is using Dave's loop, coming to the wall, and there attaching a filter, go at a slight angle upward, probably another filter, then a regulator, after which a fitting for a hook up. Question about a down leg to put a drain, and possibly a stair step up for another hook up. I've never needed 2 access points at once, and the only thing that rapidly comes to mind for that, is 15 guys running around your roof, with 6 mailers, running off 6 hook ups. Am I missing Mr Obvious?

Cast ye votes..........

GW
I used regular black iron pipe throughout. Pipe & fittings are readily available and easy to work with.

I don't see a problem with your plan, but I would install a low-point drain before the first filter. And I'd make that first filter a water-separating filter...

Something to remember is that every time you change direction, any water suspended in the air will most likely not make the corner, hit the inside wall and fall to the lowest point. Now, too many direction changes and you start to reduce efficiency, flow, and pressure. What I'm getting at is a couple tee's and/or elbows are not a bad thing.

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."