Moving too new single car garage shop. Advice needed.
OK guys, we are getting ready to move in a couple of weeks.

The new place has a detached 16’x 27’ single car garage that will be my new workshop. It is a brand new space. Standard single car garage door and the interior is still just 2x4 studs. It is not wired yet but I had the electrician put in a 100 amp subpanel.

Since it is not a large area, I’m looking for tool placement and work area suggestions to make the most of my new shop’s footprint.

If you have a similar shop or work in a small shop I would appreciate any suggestions.
I have the normal stuff. Table saw, band-saw, HF dust collector, radial arm saw, 6 inch jointer, bench-top planer, bench top drill press. 6ft work bench.

Any suggestions for the best layout of the main shop tools with room for wood storage too?
Telling a man he has too many tools,
is like telling a woman she has too many shoes.
Caster everything.
Pat Warner
Best advice I can give it to make all your power tools mobile. There is no optimum layout of a small space, apart from eliminating some of your tools. If you don't already have a hard floor in the garage, I'd do that first.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Terry

My garage is only 14x20 and all I can say is Wall space and floor space is very valuable.

Lots of shelves on one wall and Cabinets top and bottom on the back wall.

The other wall that does not have shelves is for hanging anything else.

I can only fit me and one other vet at a time when I teach.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Most important thing is don't allow vehicles in there. Start that and you lose your shop.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
If your electrician is still around I'd have him add at least 2 220v circuits for future expansion. Or, do it yourself if you're comfortable with the installation. When we built our detached garage my contractor was sure I'd never need more than a couple of circuits. I don't know what I was thinking! Since then I've added 8 additional 110v 20 amp circuits. I put 3 on each side plus 2 in the ceiling.

Also make sure you have enough lighting. I've got 6 2-tube fluorescents in my 24 x 24 shop and wish I had another 6.

Have fun setting up your shop!
I concur with the "on wheels" advice.

I will also mention that the May/June issue of Woodworker's Journal carried an article I wrote on a space saving chop saw bench.

The Sep/Oct issue will be carrying an article of mine on a fold away workbench to match. I created both projects because when I moved last year I thought I was going to be in a garage, so I was considering ways to save space.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
As well as the good suggestions already for mobile bases, wall mounted storage etc, one thing I find handy is a knock down assembly table. This is a couple of slide apart "saw horses" and a piece of heavy flooring MDF. It's also the same height as the B&D workmate, that doubles as a planer stand. So these things can be moved around and used as needed, or packed up and hung on the wall if not.

So for example, assembling a bunk bed base, I can machine up all the pieces, then push tools aside, and set up a large assembly area with the horses and Workmate and have 7ft x 4 ft clear space to assemble a bed.
My shop is 16 X 32. Outlets at about 42" high roughly every 8' (mostly quads) with a couple of 220 outlets. Storage cabinets along walls and most tools on casters.
One thing I really like is having the tablesaw facing double doors with a single door behind it.
I can rip any length board with no problems.
I have 4 light switches for 6 8' lamps allowing me to use as needed.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
I've often thought that if I were too short of space I'd hang things like bench top tools from the rafters on pulleys (like folks hang bicycles). -Howard