Moving too new single car garage shop. Advice needed.
Another vote for castors. My shop is a garage and casters are a lifesaver. For planning and lumber breakdown, I move the appropriate tailed tool to the driveway. Gives me plenty of space (need a couple of adjustable rollers for infeed/outfeed) - and reduces the mess in the shop.

Also thing seriously about insulating the garage door and adding heating/cooling capability - you'll need it since garages aren't known for their salubrious climates!
Jim

Demonstrating every day that enthusiasm cannot overcome a lack of talent!
Terry W said:

..........Since it is not a large area,......

Not too large? try 12X20 with a 50-850, rikon 10-340, 2412 ridgid, 6"jointer, 13" planer, 16/32 drum sander, 20hp shop vac, 2 6" rolling tool chests, a 36" wide X 6" tall cabinet for hand power tools, a 60 " stationary bench, a 48" rolling work bench AND room for a volvo c70. dude, 16X27 is a palace! get a bunch of these (woodcraft drops them to $50 a few times a year):

http://www.amazon.com/WoodRiver-Universa...B004UELZLA

and away you go. 16X27! i'd probably get lost in that much space! enjoy the room adn good luck with the new shop.
there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.
Even with a 2 car garage I have all my tools on wheels except my TS. My TS is actually 2 TS bolted together. Also my bench is not on wheels. I have lots of cabinets but could do w/o about 1/2 of them.

On electrical I went another route - I waited until after I completed the walls. All my circuits are in conduit attached to the walls and ceiling. I have added to the circuits and it was really easy.

I also used 1/2 plywood instead of drywall - I can attach things anywhere I want without worry. For wall cabinets I still attached to studs also - just in case. But for hooks and stuff - no issues there.

I was going to say you can't have too many lights but you really can. You need lots of lights to not have shadows. It's really nice not having to deal with that problem.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Also - don't know where you live but now is the time to think about heating if you live where it snows.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
I'm in the same neighborhood as toolie .... Without mostnof those power tools. I've been headed in the hand tool direction the past couple years. My garage is 11x18. The only big power tools that made the trip from my old shop are my handsaw, lunchbox planer and DC. Of course my routers and other small hand power tools came but my cabinet saw lives 10 mins away and accessible if I really need it.

With my setup my workbench is smack dab in the middle of my shop, most of my handtools live in a cabinet on the wall. I had a thread a couple months ago about what I did in there.

I've only been working in it for 6 weeks or so but its an ever evolving thing. As I work I figure out what I do and don't like and make necessary changes.

My advice is to make a scale drawing of the space and catboats cutouts of the footprint of each of your tools. Play with layouts and see how things fit together.
~ Chris
Epoxy coat the floor.
Add insulation and/or radiant barrier for comfort.
Lay out the 24-36" wide walkways. Either one down the center or a big rectangle. Put equipment outside of the walkways.
Locate the table saw. Locate the workbench. Arrange around these two items.
Ditch the radial arm saw and miter station. They take too much wall space.
If possible, install a 36" wide door opposite the rollup door. Or an 8ft wide rollup door. Put a 12'x12' covered pad out back. Put the DC or wood storage under the cover. Open both doors for air flow if your climate allows.
They told me anybody could do it, but I showed them.
I live in a shop of similar size and, no doubt, putting everything you can on casters is the way to go. An enhancement to that theme was one of the smartest moves I've made. When I got my bench-top planer, I stored it on the floor in the corner. I would hoist it onto the outfeed table when I needed to use it; a real hassle. I finally put it into a cabinet on casters that allows it to swing up for use and down into the cabinet for storage. The cabinet then rolls out of the way under the outfeed table.

Hope this helps. Good luck with the move.
Another piece of advice is to use wall space for storage. Someone once asked me to consider what a kitchen would look like if everything was just piled on the floor.
I am in one half of a two car garage and I second the suggestion to put everything on mobile bases. For a long time I had my table saw stationary. I recently put the TS on a mobile base and even though it has only been a couple of weeks, what a difference it has made in convenience and ease of keeping the shop cleaner and organized. My router table doubles as my planer stand. My dovetail jig clamps to the end of it. I don't have RAS but I put a compound miter saw station along the wall. Across the end of the garage is wall to wall floor to ceiling cabinets, some with doors some with open adjustable shelves. I am in the process of adding some drawers to some of the open shelf sections. Drawers are constructed to hang below a shelf. The shelf still sits on the shelf pins. This lets me better use the space that might go to waste below a shelf while keeping the system adjustable. I have a glue up and finishing table that fits over the tablesaw, just a1/2" MDF sheet trimmed to size with a pine skirt to harden the edges and keep it in place while keeping the TS protected.
There are two kinds of people: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring - Carl Sagan
More great ideas.

OK, got it. Everything on wheels. The floor is concrete so that works.

It gets HOT here so I will definitely insulate after the electrical is done. Still deciding between sheet rock and plywood for the walls. There are pluses and minuses with both.

Thanks for the photos. It gives me some ideas on placement.

The planer is too heavy to be lifting so I will build a flip-top cart for it. Makes sense and saves the back.

I don't know if I can give up the radial arm saw. I use mine all the time. It is a huge space hog but I set it beside storage cabinet set at the same height. It doubles as an off-feed table so it is not so bad. For long stock I'll have to move tools (on wheels) from the other side.

Playing with the idea of locating the dust collector outside in a separate small shed. Cuts down on noise an frees up space but it would suck in unconditioned air.

I'm going to try using a window AC unit in summer and a small electric radiant heater in winter. If that doesn't cut it after a year or so I will upgrade to a mini-split system that can work off the same dedicated circuit.
Telling a man he has too many tools,
is like telling a woman she has too many shoes.