Need a wood for a cleaver handle. Suggestions?
What kind of wood would be good for a handle? This won't be a typical handle but something that will address my carpal tunnel.
I'm think something that would be used for bowls and such as it will be a wide but fairly thin profile.

Thank to all!
I once made new handles for a 50 year old wheel barrow, after the fact I planned the old handle it was......Bubinga.
Jim

THANK OUR MILITARY THAT WE ARE FREE

If I accepted, that'd mean I didn't have any integrity..
AND then I'd meet your expectations as a politician..
Fred Kingston...052708
Almost any straight grained hardwood,ash,white oak, maple walnut etc.
I made new pot handles from cherry,because I have plenty of it.
mike
Interesting question. My wife often uses an OK cleaver that has a sloppy, not-so-OK handle. I have delusions of making and attaching a new handle for it. Of course I'd have to figure out how to remove an old handle then shape and attach a new one, not necessarily in that order....
Phydeaux
Hickory is used for almost all shovels, hammers, etc. It's a great hardwood that gives a bit and springs back. You won't notice it's there. Also it's a cool looking wood.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
I'd stick with traditional kitchen knife woods. Some of the woods mentioned above are fairly open pored, and would harbor all kinds of food debris, possibly causing growth of harmful bacteria or germs. Traditional kitchen knife handles are beech, walnut, rosewood, and pakkawood (Japanese knives). There are more exotic woods used for kitchen knives, but all tend to be tight grained woods.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
For a knife handle, just stay away from anything that rots easily. I'd avoid hickory, for example. Walnut would be great, though.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
One of the exs uncles made a chefs knife for me. The wood o the handles is Cocobola. He did a nice job shaping the handle. No finish was used.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Where is a good source for rosewood or cocobolo?
I have a ton of african blackwood that I use for most of my handles. Impervious to water damage. I can sell you a stick of 1-3/8+ square and cut it so fit in a SFRB $10 shipped.
Cellulose runs through my veins!