Deburring Wheel Advice
Need help choosing a deburring wheel for my bench grinder to help with sharpening.

It all started when I watched a couple of videos of Curtis Buchanan sharpening an adze and a large curved gouge. He uses a dry grinder, then a deburring wheel, and finishes with a buffing wheel and compound.

I decided to give it try his technique on a gouge with my CBN wheel. I was amazed at how well the grinding part worked. I didn't have a deburring wheel, so I finished with diamond plates and some waterstones. Got the gouge extremely sharp, but dished every one of my waterstones. It's not a good long-term solution, so I want to get a deburring wheel.

In one of the videos, Curtis says that he uses a Norton Bear Tex, so I went to buy one, but discovered that the choices are daunting.

Any suggestions? Do I want a unitized or convolute wheel? Do I want aluminum oxide or silicon carbide? Do I want a dense wheel?

Advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve
No responses, so I sent an e-mail to Curtis Buchanan and got a response this morning. I guess I should have checked Highland Hardware. Here's the answer if anyone's interested:

Highland

Steve
That looks a lot like the 3M wheel I use for removing light rust on plane bodies.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
How quickly does the wheel wear away? I have used something like that in my angle grinder to remove rust and the wheel was destroyed within a few minutes. Do I need to buy more than one?

Steve
Hi Steve

I use 3M wheels. There are a wide range of densities and grits/fineness. You will need as fine as you can get and a hard wheel.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
KBC has deburring wheels on sale. They come in AO or SC, fine or medium, and couple of densities, so your question is very pertinent .
A man of foolish pursuits
Derek Cohen said:

Hi Steve

I use 3M wheels. There are a wide range of densities and grits/fineness. You will need as fine as you can get and a hard wheel.

Thanks Derek.

Actually Curtis Buchanan has been really helpful and mentioned the tendency of these wheels to round over the edge. The CBN wheel has been amazing, but unfortunately my carving gouges are way too wide to fit into the Tormek jig that I want to use. So, I came upon this looking for an alternative. Only problem is that I have more wheels than spaces on my grinder. I already double up my leather and felt wheels on one side, but if I put the deburring wheel on, I probably need to remove those and get a 2nd bench grinder just for them. Could justify my finally getting a dedicated buffer.

Steve
Downwindtracker2 said:

KBC has deburring wheels on sale. They come in AO or SC, fine or medium, and couple of densities, so your question is very pertinent .

Thanks. I just ordered the Bear Tex from Highland a little while ago. Highland made it easy because they only had 2 choices - medium and fine. The one I got is an aluminum oxide convolute wheel with fine abrasive and medium density. I'll report back when I get it.

Steve
for $40, the HF buffer ain't bad. I've had mine for 3 years now, still going strong. Check it out.

HF link
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Admiral said:

for $40, the HF buffer ain't bad. I've had mine for 3 years now, still going strong. Check it out.

Yup, that's what I was thinking. There's one down the road, but I get so confused by that place - yellow machines, orange machines, gray machines, gray machine with blue plates. You think there's any difference? I was actually thinking of getting an 8" one so that I could put an 8" cloth wheel on one side. I've been using a felt wheel with compound and really like it. Not as easy to dub the edge as it is with the leather wheel.

Steve