Monarch Saw
Does anybody know of a brand of saw called Monarch? I couldn't resist buying it at a garage sale just because it was different.
It is a 26" panel saw with a 3 bolt coarse grained like chestnut handle. There's a stiffening plate or reinforcing plate that all 3 bolts go through. No medallion just 3 saw bolts with sort of tapered heads and tapered nuts. They look original to the saw.
Its a rusty one and I was interested in who the maker was, so did some scraping and then steel wooling with ATF and acetone.
It has a scroll type etch that's at least partly visible at this point. That says Monarch across the top, (Patented) Cast Steel, (Patent) Ground, and then superior quality at the bottom.
The plate is nice and straight so I do think its of good quality, just wondering about the Monarch thing. I can't come up with a hit on Google about that.
Side plate and cone nuts,... pix please.
Here are a few photos. The etch being very light to begin with is about gone now after some more steel wooling. But then I'd rather have a smooth blade to use vs a etch to look at. I have a ways to go yet.

Looks a lot like a Disston "Standard".

I don't remember who, but someone here at woodnet has this one. (tell me if you can't see the pix)

Then that's what it must be as it looks identical. I did see that Disston made a monarch saw set, so maybe they carried that name onto a saw also. Thanks for the help Toby.
Monarch was one of the trademarks used by the Monhagen Saw Works of Middletown, NY

see here
Disston made saws to be branded under other names, so it's probably Disston-made. Looks like the teeth need some work, but otherwise it should be a good user saw.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
jasfrank said:

Here are a few photos. The etch being very light to begin with is about gone now after some more steel wooling. But then I'd rather have a smooth blade to use vs a etch to look at.

for the future- just a flat piece of hardwood, some 320 sandpaper and water, or mineral spirits will preserve a lot of the etch while you clean. Time may prove that you'll appreciate the etch at some point- sometimes it's the only thing to go on, plus preserving some value and history.

I sure don't like to lose the etch on good old saws. Your mileage may vary.

te
Yes Thomas,I see your point about preserving history. Thank you for the tip.