Determining rocker length and curve
I would like to put this chair back into operation. The rockers do not have equal curves- drunk feeling without the alcohol.
Measurement from back seat slat to front is approximately 21".

Rockers are approximately 31"

How do I determine the correct measurement for new rockers?

Neither of the rockers seem to fit the front legs exactly. Is it possible that this did not start out as a rocker? If so, can I successfully put rockers on it?

Thanks

" />
" />
Everything you ever wanted to know about rocker design courtesy of Hal Taylor

Rocking Chair University

Steve
The rockers do not look laminated. In fact, they look like someone added them as an after thought. Was this originally a rocking chair?

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Derek Cohen said:

The rockers do not look laminated. In fact, they look like someone added them as an after thought. Was this originally a rocking chair?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Now go back and READ the OP.

That looks like the exact chair the wife has that was her grandmothers.
I have replaced the rocker parts, but must have gotten them a little off because when you rock the chair slowly turns.
Ours was always a rocker.
It is in pieces right now because it went through a flood & I have to refinish it.

It always works on paper!
Thank you, thank you, for that link.

I made a rocking chair a few years back. And about 3 or 4 rockers before giving up. I may try it one more time, when/if I get my steamer up and running.

Eric
Steve Friedman said:

Everything you ever wanted to know about rocker design courtesy of Hal Taylor

Rocking Chair University

Steve

That is an excellent link.

However, it does not address, or maybe I missed it, the length of the rockers, only the arc.

Any ideas to determine length?
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
Martin S. said:

That is an excellent link.

However, it does not address, or maybe I missed it, the length of the rockers, only the arc.

Any ideas to determine length?

Martin,

Good point. I think length may not be as much of an issue as where along the rocker the weight is centered. Maybe Richard or one of the other folks who build Maloof-style rockers will chime in. I've only ever made two Adirondack rockers, one of which is clearly more comfortable than the other. On the "good" one, the neutral position of the chair is very comfortable. On the "bad" one, the chair leans a bit too far forward in a neutral position. I tried to fix it by changing the curve of the rocker, but that made it worse. I'd have to move the angle of the chair on the rockers very slightly, but that would likely require me to make new rockers. And I don't want to.

Steve