dust collection for belt/disc sander
I have an older model Grizzly combo sander. The thing is built like a tank and does a perfectly fine job of sanding. What I have yet manage, is to find an effective way to adapt it to a dust collector. There are no dust shrouds or built in connection points. I'm getting ready to install a cyclone dust collector and for the first time hope to have everything piped to it.
I wouldn't be opposed to selling this machine and buying another, if newer models or another manufacturer does a better job with dust control, or if someone knows of an effective mod to this machine, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks!
I have a 6" Shopsmith unit and dust collection is outstanding with this style of dust hood hooked up to a regular shop vac. Maybe you could make/adapt something that looks like this.......

Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA
And Shopsmith comes out ahead again.
Brian
Shop power by Powermatic, Shopsmith, Delta & Bosch.
Thanks David, That is the sort of thing I have in mind. I assume the disc sander has a similar dust outlet on the bottom? As it is, my sander sits on a bench without much room under it. Maybe step one is to put it on a stand of some sort for better access.
I have an uncle with a big ShopSmith setup, it wouldn't hurt to stop by and have a look at the design.
Yes Ed, the dust port is located on the other side bottom. Works very well for the disk sander. Maybe just a hair less effective as the belt sander IMO. The picture I posted is for a SS Shop Deputy configuration. I'm going to an auction in a couple weeks for a SS and will convert it to this size and configuration. I use my SS as a sanding station only. Switch out the belt & strip sander on the left side on the headstock and switch out flat & conical disk on the right side. Then spindle sander is mounted of the machine extension tables. Nice variable speed sanding set-up that fits my needs perfectly. Here's a pic....

Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA
I actually just sold a Grizzly 1014z yesterday. It had the same DC fitting as the SS shown above, and I added a simple DC port to the side of the disc which worked great.
I bought a Ridgid OSS/belt sander and plan to build a 12" disc attachment for my lathe, so the combo belt/disc sander wasn't needed.