Grizzly table saw
If one were to purchase a Grizzly table saw, would you go with the 0690 series or the 1023 series and why?

Thanks in advance
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
You can't go wrong with either. Pick the one that has the features you want

G0690 / G1023
Asian made Leeson motor/ Asian made no name motor
dust port on the right / dust port in the back
no blade dust shroud / blade dust shroud
Made in China / Made in Taiwan
Old Unisaw guts with a retrofitted riving knife/ New design using a dovetail way and riving knife
3 v belts / single serpentine belt
new fence with reported flatness issues / old Shop Fox classic fence

sorry I couldn't get the list to format like I wanted
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
1023 made in Taiwan. They been at the knock off game longer, and have it down better. China is still learning, getting better, but learning.

1023 trunnions

0690 trunnions

Likely with home owner use either will go a long time. Not sure if the "Leeson motor" has any real difference, at one time they were US made, and well regarded, no experience with them now. I have some Griz products with the plain Jane motors, and they appear to run well, but I can't speak for the test of time yet.

Maybe helpful if you hadn't seen it side by side
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Steve N said:

1023 trunnions

That's the old G1023.

The newly redesigned (2010?) G1023's trunnions look like this.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
I've done a lot of work on a 1023Z, albeit many years ago. I was not impressed. It cut wood, but always seemed to have a bit of 'runout' and wouldn't hold blade height settings (which is important for some operations!). We replaced it with a JET Xacata, which at that point in time was the next 'affordable' step up. I also had (have) the JET in my home shop and consider it a far superior machine to the 1023Z of 15 years ago.

I was very impressed with the 8" Grizzly jointer, and we absolutely abused the hell out of a 1033 planer for years.
Tony Z said:

If one were to purchase a Grizzly table saw, would you go with the 0690 series or the 1023 series and why?

Thanks in advance

I have the 1023, it's a beast. if you have a 220 for it, i'd highly recommend it.
I had the 0690 for a couple of years and I always described it as a beast. It's a great saw for the money. The motor felt like it had more than 3 hp and would come up to speed instantly. It passed the nickel test with no problem at all. I even balanced new pennies on it. My only issue with the saw was the fence. The UHMW was wavy. I didn't like the cheap chinese screws either but none really became an issue.
Tony Z said:

Thanks in advance

The Grizzly G1023RLWX is what I picked when I asked the same question you asked.

I have been very happy with that saw. The fence works great, it was spot on after set up and there is plenty of power to cut through whatever I need to cut. It is probably way more saw than I will ever need.

Happy Shopping
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
LIL. First some disclosure, I already have a 1996 vintage 1023, and am looking for a saw for the maintenance shop at my plant (I don't expect heavy use).

With my 1996 saw, I had to disassemble the arbor and then had one of my machinists grind so as to have total runout well under .0002". The original fence was junk, and replaced by a Vega. There have always been issues with the saw returning exactly to zero (90 degrees) square, and my assessment was an error in the mating adjusting gears-I get to zero, but it takes extra cranking. I bought the saw new, picking it up in the original Grizzly warehouse in Williamsport, for a cost of $625.00. For that price, and the work it did, it has earned its keep.

The earlier pictures posted of the 1023 trunions are the main reason for this thread-the current 1023 is considerably different than mine! Anyhow thanks to all that have posted, and at the moment, I am leaning towards the 1023.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
CARYinWA said:

That's the old G1023.

The newly redesigned (2010?) G1023's trunnions look like this.

When did that happen? I was just looking at the website a month ago, buddy wanted a new saw. Could swear they had the pic I posted. That might sway me on build heaviness, seems equal, would still take the 1023 for the made in Taiwan, over China tag though.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW