D-8 thumb hole plate cleaning
I came across a pre-1928 Disston D-8 thumb hole, 26" plate, 5.5 tpi, straight as an arrow, at an estate sale ($1). Trying to clean it up. Have used razor blade, foil, steel wool and sand paper up to 320 to this point. Plate appears to have deep grooves that I can't seem to get clean. Is this the best I will get or do I have to do something more/different? This is my first try at cleaning a plate. Thanks in advance .

Jim

Those grooves are original to the plate from the factory. You've already got it clear of rust and smooth. I usually take it to 000 steel wool, after the sandpaper, or use some equivalent scotchbrite. Perhaps get some Autosol, or some polishing compound from an auto parts store to polish it up so its pretty, but otherwise, you're ready for sharpening. Nice deep plate, great saw, you'll like it. Nice score.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Looks good, that's the original grinding marks, use it.

And,.....

Like the above have said...you've reached the deep end of the pool. Enjoy the results!
Yup, ....

...(you suck)
Looks good Jim,

I'd take it to 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper using mineral spirits to reduce clogging of the sandpaper. Use a sanding block over the etch.

One Dollar???!!! I agree, you DO suck.
Catchalater,
Marv

I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.”
― Maya Angelou

I'm working toward my PHD.  (Projects Half Done)