Talk to me of sliding miter saws-
cputnam said:

As part of your comparison, make sure to include clamping/hold-down capacity. I love my PC 12" CMS but there is no provision for clamping stuff down.

That is shocking to me. I have never seen a cms/scms that did not have a clamp of some kind - no holes for the post in back of the fence somewhere??

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

"Talk to me of sliding miter saws"

They have almost 3 times as many moving parts as a straight 12" chop saw. Each of those moving parts is a potential degree or 3 off.

They cost roughly double for less accuracy.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Last Christmas I made the jump from a DeWalt 10" fixed to a DeWalt 12" slider because Home Depot had them on sale for $399. I've used it on several jobs and have been very satisfied with it. The slider gives the extra capacity I wanted. It's very solid and well built.

The only 2 things I don't like is that it's heavy and there's no laser. I suppose the weight is a good thing because it doesn't move around when I'm using it. On the other hand, it's a pain in the back to move around. A laser would have been nice. DeWalt may make an add-on but I haven't checked it out.

I've seen the Bosch. It looks like a well designed saw but was more expensive that the DeWalt.

By the way, I was in Home Depot today and saw the same saw on sale for $399.
I was going to suggest the Makita LS1013, as it is just as at home on the job site as it is in the shop. I have used one to build a garage, and used it to build furniture. It was dead on accurate out of the box, and I haven't had to adjust it in 14 years. Even the included blade was very good quality and gave glass smooth cross cuts in all sorts of woods.

The reason I can't recommend it, is because it has been discontinued. But whatever model it is that replaced it deserves a look, as Makita knows how to make a heckuva saw.

My 2 cents...
IMHO the two top are the Milwaukee (because of the digital adjust) and the Bosch glide (because it doesn't take any room behind the arm). But unless you call ~80+lbs portable they aren't. Yes all the installers and cabinet guys who depend on a good SCMS use them but they are typically with a helper or a crew. Both have good DC but the Bosch is a little better. I don't know of a really portable SCMS that is worth the money.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
C12lsh hitachi has a kapex type rail with minimum depth behind saw required and a digital scale for adjust for anyone looking. Vertical handle works for me but some want horizontal.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I have a Makita LS1016L 10" miter saw.

I'm thinking of replacing it with a Bosch CM 12 12" miter saw.

The dust collection on the Bosch saw looks better. There is a black chute that seems to be placed right in the sawdust spray area, according to photos on Amazon.

Having a 12" blade instead of a 10" blade would allow me to have a saw with no rails, and fewer adjustments to be out of adjustment. The Makita seems to have varying ways to set it up to make it cut square to the table and fence.

I will keep the Makita around for making cuts that the Bosch can't make.
I have the dual bevel version of the Bosch 12" CMS. Nothing was aligned properly out of the box; it took me 2 hours or more to go through the book to get it set up square/square and the angles to be correct. Since then, however, it has been perfect and the factory blade cuts amazingly well and is very durable. My deck Ipe' project will be the last one before it finally needs to be resharpened after 5 years of only occasional use. The up front bevel controls are a very nice feature.

This thing weighs 64 lbs, so it's not easily portable. The capacity is at the limit in a 2 x 8 @ 90 deg. or a 2 x 6 @ 45 deg. For trim work my Bosch is fine, and I'm really happy I got the 12". But if I did not have a RAS I would be looking at a slider, just as the OP asked about. If not for the weight the Bosch Glide would be high on my list to consider.

John
as the resident tool pimp of the midwest,

I've owned 8 SCMS in the last 6 months.. I would say the Bosch Glide is top dog. (i haven't owned a festool, though i would think that would win top dog honors) The table is tiny, put it takes up around 33" of space, front to back.

#2 would be the Hitachi. It's what i've kept for myself and got one for my dad. the rails slide forward and is around 33" front to back as well. Stock blade is good, alignment is good. Price is great. Laser is too faint to be used outdoors. I don't really care for lasers anyways.

The 12" ridgid scms is a behemoth table. 44" of F-B space though

dewalt has a few. i haven't had the LED model. they were decent tables and good saws.

The rails sliding forward/folding hinge design of the hitachi/bosch make them miles ahead of the others.
My Day Job
well, bye.
Here is another vote for the Bosch CM 12. I have had trouble keeping sliders accurate.