Round Tenons on Spindles
LOML wanted three bar stools with round spindles, so I borrowed the neighbor's HF lathe last weekend for my first turning adventure. It went better after I semi-sharpened his gouges. The spindles are simple, 9-14" long, 7/8" in the middle and 5/8" tenon ends.

The problem is the tenon ends. How does one get them exactly 5/8" diameter x 3/4" long for a good fit into the drilled mortise hole?
They told me anybody could do it, but I showed them.
Get an end wrench of the size tenon you need and sharpen the shorter end. Turn the tenon down close, then use the wrench sharp edge up. When it gets to the size of the wrench, it slides on and stops cutting.

Best use of the $5 after rebate end wrench set from Menards that I know of...
"I'm glad being trapped in the woods hunted by an insane militia made you ask the big life questions."

Check out my Project Blog
youtube vid using wrenches to make tenons
Another vid using wrenches
I know the voices aren't real but man do they have some great ideas !

People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet
If you don't want to buy or mess up your current open end wrenches.... just use you parting tool and turn down to where they just slip over the tenon. If your doing production work then you may want to make some as illustrated.
To do 12 I would just use the wrench as a gauge.
Thank you, gentlemen. I knew there had to be an easy way to do this. WN Braintrust comes through again!
They told me anybody could do it, but I showed them.
It should be noted a 5/8" open end wrench is not necessarily 5/8" in reality. It will be at least a few thousandths over and can be 10 thousandths or more. I make a lot of 1/2" tenons and use a wrench to get me close. I always have to shave a little off for them to fit in a 1/2" hole. Suggest you practice on some scrap pieces first.
Steve K

I'm gonna keep a watch out for sales on those wrenches and make a set. Thanks for the great tip.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
chips ahoy said:

I'm gonna keep a watch out for sales on those wrenches and make a set. Thanks for the great tip.

Mel

You will be getting metric, of course.

Another method involves boring holes of various diameter into 1/4 appleply. Rip to get a half-circle and use it as your gauge. Or leave a whole hole and measure over an open end.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
If you have a dial caliper, you don't necessarily need an open ended wrench. I use a parting tool to establish the finished diameter at the heel end of the tenon. I creep up on it and measure often with my caliper with the lathe stopped. Once it's there, you can use your spindle gouge to remove the rest of the waste. Keep measuring with the caliper once you get close. No need to sand the tenon once done, since it's getting inserted into the mortise.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
MichaelMouse said:

[blockquote]chips ahoy said:

Mel

You will be getting metric, of course.

Another method involves boring holes of various diameter into 1/4 appleply. Rip to get a half-circle and use it as your gauge. Or leave a whole hole and measure over an open end.

[/blockquote]

Not a hope in hell I will be getting metric. Something that was jammed down our throats and I despise it.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member