Liquid Nails fail
#24
  Re: Re: Liquid Nails fail by Mr_Mike (Without knowing how ...)
Mr_Mike said:

Without knowing how much of the surface area was glued, one cannot determine if the glue underperformed.


Sine wave pattern from side-to-side, about 1-1/2" to 2" apart, down the entire length of the header. Should have been enough glue.

Quote:

Headers don't need glue. It does nothing except keep your crappy lumber less bowed. Spike them together with nails and be done with it. Screws aren't the right fastener either.


I think the screws I used are better than "common" hot dipped galvanized nails for holding bowed lumber together. Ring shank nails would be good to hold bowed lumber together though. Common nails do not have the tension holding power of the proper screws or ring shank nails. I used ceramic coated 3" screws (was pressure treated lumber) and wouldn't hesitate to use them again. Different strokes for different folks.

Quote:

I'd definitely not use gorilla glue. That stuff should be banned.


Why?

Thanks,
Skyglider
Reply
#25
  Re: Re: Liquid Nails fail by SkyGlider ([blockquote]Mr_Mike ...)
SkyGlider said:


[blockquote]Mr_Mike said:

Without knowing how much of the surface area was glued, one cannot determine if the glue underperformed.


Sine wave pattern from side-to-side, about 1-1/2" to 2" apart, down the entire length of the header. Should have been enough glue.



That is a big bow.

Quote:

Headers don't need glue. It does nothing except keep your crappy lumber less bowed. Spike them together with nails and be done with it. Screws aren't the right fastener either.


I think the screws I used are better than "common" hot dipped galvanized nails for holding bowed lumber together. Ring shank nails would be good to hold bowed lumber together though. Common nails do not have the tension holding power of the proper screws or ring shank nails. I used ceramic coated 3" screws and wouldn't hesitate to use them again. Different strokes for different folks.


Yes, definitely use screws with that big of a bow, if you insist on using that lumber. Regular nails for wood that isn't bowed.

Quote:

I'd definitely not use gorilla glue. That stuff should be banned.


Why?

Gorilla glue is guaranteed to leak out of the worst possible places. I broke my long standing rule against using GG. It worked perfectly gluing fabric to wood. I still had to keeping wiping away the excess as it cured.


[/blockquote]
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver


Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

Reply
#26
  Re: Re: Liquid Nails fail by CLETUS ([blockquote]SkyGlide...)
I have always found LN to be up to the task. That being said, regular white wood glue is what I would use. I have seen the wood fail before the glue joint many times. Just use plenty of glue and clamp or screw the the joint for 24 hours. Glue the faces of a 2x4 together and I dare you to get them apart.
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)