Method for sealing fence.
#11
  Re: (...)
I have about 125' of fence to put some water seal on. I have done the paint brush method in the past, long time gong.

It was recommended that I use a sprayer. I have a 60gal compressor so I am wondering if I could utilize this with a sprayer. Would an HVLP sprayer from HF work?

Thoughts?

Tommy
Reply
#12
  Re: Method for sealing fence. by Chi Town Tommy (I have about 125' of...)
I would be willing to be the sprayer they suggested was a weed sprayer.

Thompsons is nothing but thin so it would spray easily.
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 



Reply
#13
  Re: Method for sealing fence. by Chi Town Tommy (I have about 125' of...)
My experience with spraying outdoor wood and particularly fence boards---is they suck up quite a bit of finish. The light coat from a sprayer will disappear pretty fast----soaked into the wood.

Depending on the detail of the fence----pickets vs. lattice, I'd first try a roller and touch up missed spots with a brush. Also the mfg. of the product you're using might also suggest an application method.
Dave
Reply
#14
  Re: Re: Method for sealing fence. by JGrout (I would be willing t...)
JGrout said:


I would be willing to be the sprayer they suggested was a weed sprayer.







That's the way I've seen it done.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver


Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

Reply
#15
  Re: Re: Method for sealing fence. by CLETUS ([blockquote]JGrout s...)
CLETUS said:


[blockquote]JGrout said:


I would be willing to be the sprayer they suggested was a weed sprayer.







That's the way I've seen it done.


[/blockquote]

Me too. A 1 gal garden sprayer works really well.

Trivia fact: It also works really well to pump oil into your differential if you can't jack your car up very far.

John
Reply
#16
  Re: Re: Method for sealing fence. by daveferg (My experience with s...)
daveferg said:


My experience with spraying outdoor wood and particularly fence boards---is they suck up quite a bit of finish. The light coat from a sprayer will disappear pretty fast----soaked into the wood.

Depending on the detail of the fence----pickets vs. lattice, I'd first try a roller and touch up missed spots with a brush. Also the mfg. of the product you're using might also suggest an application method.




It'll suck it up whether sprayed or brushed/rolled... still about 79 times quicker to spray it, I'd think. Funny this should come up because one of my neighbors and his wife are brushing about 100' as we speak. It's nearly 100 degrees outside right now.

Reply
#17
  Re: Re: Method for sealing fence. by KC ([blockquote]daveferg...)
KC---the speed is really a factor of the size of the spray pattern, so if the spray gun's pattern covers like 6 square inches-----there's a lot of back and forth on one fence board. And my point about absorbing faster, it quite obviously a spray gun does not place nearly as much material on the board as does a roller. Now, if we're talking about lattice or 1x1 railing stock---I'd agree spraying is better---but for flat suffices I'd sooner be rolling in that 100 degree heat----yuck!!!
Dave
Reply
#18
  Re: Method for sealing fence. by Chi Town Tommy (I have about 125' of...)
There is a pump sprayer made for deck and fence staining and sealing that comes with special spraying tips rather than your typical garden variety which is generally a mister.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
Reply
#19
  Re: Re: Method for sealing fence. by daveferg (KC---the speed is re...)
daveferg said:


KC---the speed is really a factor of the size of the spray pattern, so if the spray gun's pattern covers like 6 square inches-----there's a lot of back and forth on one fence board. And my point about absorbing faster, it quite obviously a spray gun does not place nearly as much material on the board as does a roller. Now, if we're talking about lattice or 1x1 railing stock---I'd agree spraying is better---but for flat suffices I'd sooner be rolling in that 100 degree heat----yuck!!!




Just to be argumentative (and only for that reason because I don't care enough to do my own fence as a test!), unless you're using a power roller I can't imagine it would be anywhere even close to as fast as spraying. Based on personal experience of painting walls... and watching a huge number of pro painters spraying interiors and exteriors rather than brushing/rolling. AFTER they've taken the time to cover everything they don't want painted with sheet plastic and tape. Which is a complete PITA the times I've done it.

Will you get a 'better job' and better coverage rolling over spraying? Maybe. But I can't see it being faster.
Reply
#20
  Re: Re: Method for sealing fence. by KC ([blockquote]daveferg...)
KC---

A: Depends entirely on the sprayer-----those little buzz boxes are a joke and I don't see that the HVLP units deliver that much finish to the surface either.

B: If spraying is so great, why is it that every house painting contractor who have ever giving bids on a job spray the house and back roll with a roller.
Dave
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)