Kitchen upgrade
Thinking about upgrading our kitchen. Having the microwave over the stove is very convenient but in my experience with a couple of different makes - the fan is all noise and no suction & the lights are worthless. Any input? Would I be better off with a real hood vent system with adequate lighting built in?

The microwave would just go elsewhere.
E
Thankyouthankyouverymuch.
That's what I would ( and will, when we remodel) do. This is my first (and last) over range microwave. Like you said the fan and lights are worthless. I'll go with a vented range hood, and the microwave will probably be on a shelf just over the counter top.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Get a real fan and real lighting. My former kitchen had a microwave with blower and it was worthless. I now have a downdraft that vents to outside and will suck the hairpiece off your head. Added a pot rack and LED lighting and now have something that works good for my tired eyes. The microwave is over on the other side of the room in a cabinet niche. The choice was to build it in or get cabinet with shelf. I like the shelf idea because I can (and did) replace microwave when it gives up (which it did). Price the standalone microwaves vs built ins. Standalone offers better selection and much lower price. Bonus is that it leaves room for pizza peel and plastic wrap.

Good luck with your remodel.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
I just installed a Frigidaire over the range microwave for a friend and I'm impressed with how well it vents. That said, in my own kitchen I installed a separate vent hood over the range and it works very well, and has for 20 years. Our microwave needs aren't extensive, mostly just reheating small items, so I used a GE Spacesaver microwave which fits into a standard 12" upper cabinet. I don't know if it or something similar is still made, but it works really well for us. I hate the visual ugliness of microwaves that stick out of upper cabinets. This one is flush. Having the microwave up in the cabinet frees the counter top for better uses. If I had to put one on the counter top, I think I'd be inclined to put it in the corner which typically is not very useful space.

John
We took the same approach with the GE Spacesaver. All we ever do is reheat in the MW. This model is not full sized but plenty big for reheating and popcorn. Has 1000w power. When we redid the kitchen, we designed a shelf specifically for this size unit....note it needs 15" depth.

Advice to the OP, get an outside vented hood and good lighting.
joe1086 said:

We took the same approach with the GE Spacesaver. All we ever do is reheat in the MW. This model is not full sized but plenty big for reheating and popcorn. Has 1000w power. When we redid the kitchen, we designed a shelf specifically for this size unit....note it needs 15" depth.

Advice to the OP, get an outside vented hood and good lighting.

Maybe they made two different Spacesaver microwaves, because mine fits in a standard 12" upper with only the door projecting in front of the cabinet box. Or maybe I didn't follow the recommended clearances, but in 20 years it's still running fine. In any case, it's a great solution for people who don't cook with their microwave.

John
You are probably right....I could be misremebering. I'll have to check it when I get home.
We put a convection oven/Microwave combo over the range.
Love it.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
I'll agree that the vent/fan could use some improvement, but the light on ours (high and low) is sufficient. I like the look of the dedicated vent systems, but it would mean a whole lot of cabinet work redo mine.
Keep them separate as many will have problems if you have any real heat coming at them from the stove. A friend of mine worked for Sears repair and he said they are disposable units as repair is cost prohibitive. Then again if you have kids or short people reaching over a stove to get stuff in and out seems like a bad idea. I have thrown 3 out never to be replaced. Fan unit above the stove microwave where ever space allows and if you don't use it much a pantry works.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.