Ridgid Oscillating Spindle/Belt Sander
Bill Wilson said:

[blockquote]DirectCedar said:

I also have one. Works fine but is certainly a hobbyist-grade unit, although about as good a hobbyist-grade unit as you will find. You just need to use it with a gentle touch and remember it is not a big cast iron General. For the money it is likely the best unit in its class, as I don't think the retail price has really increased in the last ten years although a few small tweaks have improved with the design. The belt is small and less useful than I imagined it would be although still has its place if you plan ahead to work around its size. The spindles are quite useful and there is a good selection of sizes. Dust collection is a bit tedious but once you get the right adapters wedged and sealed in the hole you can keep it away pretty well with a vac. I keep a crepe block next to it and clean the paper frequently and it is remarkable how long a life you can get from the belts and drums by doing so.

+1

I've had one for several years and echo everything said above.

I've seen this question posted several times on multiple forums over the years and can't recall any real negative reviews.

[/blockquote]

+2 Used as a hobby tool, but has never given me any problems.
I will give you a bad review of it. My belt would never track right. You barely touch it and the belt would either fly off the top or slam into the bottom. The coating on the table wore off and it left marks on whatever I was sanding. The knob that secured the top of the spindles would always tighten itself where I would have to get a pliers to remove it. The spindles were too short for what I needed so I sold it and bought a Grizzly OSS and a Jet OES to replace it. I am sure the you're stupid and operator error comments will come up again.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
I have one. Works very well. I wish it had a cast iron top vs. the aluminum one, but that would probably add $100 to the price. If you have really large pieces that need sanding, you might consider a different machine. The Ridgid is on the small side.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
CARYinWA said:

My belt would never track right. You barely touch it and the belt would either fly off the top or slam into the bottom.

I have one of the older ones. Mine was equally uncontrollable so I complained to a guy in the Ridgid booth at the local Wood Show some years ago. He took my name and address and a week or so later, a new belt system magically showed up. When I tried it, the new one was very controllable and I am very happy with it. If I were to let the smoke out, I would have to go buy another one.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
The one negative I'd add is that I'm not entirely positive the belt/spindle is 90 deg to the table, but as long as you're aware of that its a great tool. I use it ALL the time.
Benny

Buy it.
I'm on my second one (first one was bought used and finally wore out) and bought one for my kid I've been very happy with mine.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
Years ago a friend gave me his early style one, because he couldn't fix it. It stopped oscillating. I took it apart 3 times and coulsn't figure it out, but it started working. Used it for a year, and the smoke escaped from it. I used it so much, I had to buy a new one. (with lifetime warranty of course) It's the only machine, other than hand held ones I ever bought new.
The belts do last a long time using the crepe block to clean the belt.
Buy one and be sure to register for the warranty.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
I have one. Don't really care for it much. The drive spindle on mine is kinda bad about spinning inside the belt spindle. Once this happens it's almost impossible to remove. Has happened to me twice now.

Last time it happened it may have turned mine into an expensive boat anchor as I have been unable to remove it at all.

Other than the belt thing I have had no other problems with it.
Awwwwww!  Did I DO THAT?  Yep, doggone it, musta been me.
I am very happy with mine, as well. I don't use mine all the time or very hard either, so I'm not sure how much punishment it will take.

Bob