Delta 31-250 Drum Sander?
Reviews are fairly negative for this thing, but would it be worth $100 plus the cost of a new conveyor belt motor (not able to find the price of it yet, after a quick search online). It has a 18"x36" capacity.

OR

Run far, far away?

Thanks,
Bob

EDIT: I just found the motor on ebay for $325. So, the unit would cost me $425 and is still a few hundred less than I've found on CL for this unit.

Bob
I paid that for mine about 10 years ago. I just had to clean the adjustment mechanism but other than that I have had zero problems with it.

You might be able to do something else with the motor. It does adjust in speed so it has to have brushes. The connector is really simple. For that price I would take it and see if the motor just needs brushes or something simple. Even that you might be able to find a different motor to work..
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Bought one used several years ago. The conveyor motor was dead. Common problem because of the poor speed controller. They are an industry standard motor but have differences. I bought a used one on ebay and cobbled together a working one. The delta version was a very cheap one with underrated plastic gears.

I bought the conveyor belt from supergrit and theirs wasn't made quite even so it doesn't track well.

Personally $425 for a working one is too much for it. But $100 for the unit and get another motor to rebuild for it. You don't need the delta one just a similar one.

Also these motors are 90vdc and there are good speed controllers available in the industrial side where this motor comes from. In fact I almost replaced mine with a stepper motor and driver kit off ebay at one time. Was under 100 and already reversible.

Reversing the belt is an easy fix with just a double pole double throw switch. Motor connected to the middle contacts. Power to the outside ones. Jump from one side to the opposite side but flip them side for side.

Overall it's better than nothing but I'd sell it in a heartbeat if I got a good offer. As for fixing issues on later units... The only change they made was to the speed controller mainly adding a circuit breaker and they went to a cabinet base and putting a nicer lift crank on it. All of the mechanical parts are the same for all units.
Bob,
Maybe this motor will work, it's not too far from you:

http://maine.craigslist.org/tls/5146519799.html

1/4 hp DC variable speed motor 4Z248A - $50 (Glenburn)

I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
That'll spin the whole machine in circles. I think the one for it is like 1/12 hp
I really, really like my Delta 31-250. I paid about $500 for it used and have not regretted it one bit. I bought a new conveyor belt from Industrial Abrasives for about $20 and it tracks fine, which the OE belt never did.

The conveyor motor is made by Vonweise and is in the range of $200.

So you could be in business for around $350 which is a really good deal on that machine, IMO, if nothing else is wrong with it.

John
Thanks, guys, I think I will e-mail him tonight.

Bob
I got a busted one at a yard sale for $40.

Got the feed motor here;
http://estore.vonweise.com/parallelouput...1-1-1.aspx

V00212AM83 - VW83 90V DC Parallel Shaft Gear Motor - 32 RPM

Got the feed belt here,

http://www.2sand.com/en/sanding-accessor...nder1.html

I like the thing,wish I had gotten one earlier.
I take it easy on it,slow but it defiantly comes in handy.
When your plastic crap gears wear out that raise and lower the table call or go online to Renovo Parts and buy steel gears for $171.83 and never have the problem again! Delta discontinued the plastic poop gears...MikeĀ  Part # 406-13-051-006R and 406-13-051-007R (set)
There's a much cheaper solution if the plastic gears strip. Do a search on SMC and will find it.

John