Question while enjoying my Hide Glue
Hi, I've become a part-time hide-glue user and I do like it!

One question I had; where does Hide Glue fall in the spectrum of 'dealing with oily woods' (like rosewoods)? I recall reading some articles in the past, but they usually were about PVA's and epoxies and polyurethane glues.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Chris
It is, and always has been, the glue of choice for musical instruments, which means a lot of rosewood and ebony and other exotic oily woods. Wipe with lacquer thinner and glue away.
With the woods in question it is a good idea to do a quick wipe, and allow the wood to flash dry using Denatured Alcohol, MS, Acetone, or some other cutting thinning agent before glue application. This is same no matter which glue is used. Absolute best is to take a few pieces of scrap, and do a test glue up. Let it sit overnight and try to break it the next day, if the wood breaks, and glue stays you are doing it right

article also found elsewhere around the web.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I make musical instruments (mainly Guitars) and I use nothing but Hide glue. I'm referring to the real stuff and not the liquid bottled version. I have never degreased Rosewood or Ebony, not once in 30 odd years! I think that should tell you all that you need to know.
Thanks, all, for your inputs!

Best Regards,
Chris
Chris