shellac and poly
So, should have read the forum before getting started on the current project. Made two bookshelves and used Zinsser SealCoat Clear before several coats of poly (Minwax Wipe On - Satin). Before I could get going on the next step my can sprung a leak. Now the local Lowes no longer carry's it. Can I skip it and just go with the poly? I'm using Baltic Birch ply as my surface.
Eric Bruns
Licensed Psychologist
Aspiring amateur woodworker
IME, thats fine. I go straight to poly depending on the project, but also know that the overall final pigment didnt match - at least with maple. The projects where I applied Sealcoat first were just slightly darker overall.
Over a quality ply you don't need a primer. So that's fine. I mostly use shellac a a tone coat to adjust color and bring up grain.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes