0X0 $3,350 on eBay a new record, for me
No I am not the buyer.

Did not know that a plane smaller than a No. 1 existed. Certainly not to be used. I once owned a No. 2 and sold it as its size prompted me to use a block plane instead. I do own a couple of Union X's and there is some merit to this adjuster design when coupled to a cutter nearly an eighth inch thick.
Not to nitpick, but it went for 3,350.00, not 3500.00.

And while it's a difference of only 150.00, I think it's worth mentioning, since the point of the post is the dollar amount.

Also, this plane is not smaller than the Stanley No 1, but actually its equivalent.
The Chaplin #1/2 is smaller than the #1..One I had owned a few years earlier sold for $26,500 at Martin Donnelley's auction approximately 12 years ago....I watched the auction online...Donnelley had some high-dollar planes in that auction and some heavy hitters were buying them.......If auctioned now it may go for over 30K....Not many known to exist.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Just so we're all clear -- you're talking about an entirely different plane -- not the one the OP posted about.

My sources put the Chaplin ½ at the same size as the Stanley No 1.

Have a look:

Chaplin
(about 3/4 down the page is a size chart)

Stanley
darn, should have grabbed this bargain.
David from Cleveland, Ohio
Quote:

ust so we're all clear -- you're talking about an entirely different plane -- not the one the OP posted about.

My sources put the Chaplin ½ at the same size as the Stanley No 1.

Yep...we're clear....and I measured mine against the Stanley #1 and it was a tad shorter, but exactly how much shorter, I don't remember. overall tho, it was a more "delicately" made plane..almost like a toy or salesman sample...the knob and the tote were nickel plated metal, with a red interior and the number "1/2" cast into the inside of the plane sole, between the frog and the tote...I sold mine to the Area N director of the MWTCA less than a year from the time I bought it at a local flea market dealer. All the local tool guys knew I had it and wanted to buy it from me. So I knew it was rare...just not HOW rare...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Thanks for that -- this is how I add to my knowledge base.
Does anyone have a link to the auction? I was curious to find out some more info about this plane.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Benjamin Franklin
HERE ya go
I thought those collectors wanted patina. Looks like some serious metal cleaning was done.