HF Dust Collector - Melted Switch
Hey gang...I've had this dust collector for years...never had a problem with it. Today, I milled up some boards all while running the DC...maybe 2 hours total. Turned off the DC and went inside for lunch. Came back outside to get back to work, and I couldn't flip the switch back on. Took the switch apart...and the dang thing melted...and now the leads have shifted and the warped plastic housing is preventing the switch from functioning. Tried to repair, but no joy. Two questions:

One...Can anyone recommend where to purchase a new power switch?

Two...any thoughts on why this would have happened? I'm running on an extension cord, however it's the same I've used for years. Only change is that I moved to a new house...however I've run the DC here a few times at least this length of time. Do these things just wear down and fail like this, or should I be looking at other/bigger issues?

Thanks!
Kevin
Like you I have had the HF dust collector for a long time
My switch has never gone bad, But then again I never turn off the switch
I have a remote switch to turn my collector on and off

Yes, the switch in the HF collector is subject to the problem you mentioned
The switch is just has copper contacts and is subject to corrosion and carbon build up due to the ark that happens when opening and closing of the contacts
This can lead to the switch having a higher resistance then normal and this can lead to the switch over heating

If the collector was mine, I would bypass the switch and use a remote switch.

But if you want to replace the switch, you can try and contact HF customer service and see about getting a new switch
I had that happen to my old PSI DC. I ended up buying a new switch from Amazon. It fit like a glove and worked just as well.

Post photos of the switch and see if you can pull any numbers of of it. Those import DCs all use the same mfg for switches and I bet you can get a direct replacement for about $6
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
The switch on mine gave out a couple of years back. I called HF Customer Service and ordered a replacement directly from them. I do remember that it arrived pretty quickly but can't remember how much it was although it couldn't have been to expensive or I wouldn't have ordered it from them.
Thanks gang...I'll give HF a call on Monday...

Glad it's kind of "normal" for them to go out, and I don't have a larger electrical issue on my hands.
Buy a 20amp toggle switch and screw a box onto to where the switch was. A 20amp double pole switch will work in. I think the line in goes across the top and to the motor at the bottom.
Don
Seeing as my dust collector cycles off and on more than any machine in the shop, I use a definite purpose contactor and control it via a remote switch. Not expensive and I figure it will last a very long time.

Contactor
I have use one of these. Actually add paddle to most of power tools.
http://www.grizzly.com/search?sq=switches
DFJarvie said:

Buy a 20amp toggle switch and screw a box onto to where the switch was. A 20amp double pole switch will work in. I think the line in goes across the top and to the motor at the bottom.

Actually, I always have the HF OEM motor mounted switch in the on position and use a remote switch to turn the DC on/off but over time the switch did fail. Probably took 10 years or more so I figured by the time the second one goes out the DC will be on its last legs anyways.
bob-t said:

I have use one of these. Actually add paddle to most of power tools.
http://www.grizzly.com/search?sq=switches

I had a switch go bad on a bandsaw first. Bought the $4.95 110 volt paddle switch ,third from left top row.The switch at that time was $3.95, shipping was $7.00+. Next time I ordered from Grizzly I bought two more switches on a much larger total order. I then had a switch go bad on a Delta drill press. The same switch was a perfect match.
mike