Workbench vises
I'm readying to build a workbench-- Roubo style with minor modifications. Seeking opinions about which vises to use, for both end (leg) and tail vises: Bench Crafted versus Lie Nielsen ??? I'll likely use one or the other set.
Are you considering Hovarter vises? I've heard good things about them - in the same company as BC and LN.
I have the Benchcrafted Classic Leg vise and Wagon vice. Really like them both. No complaints at all. I have no experience with the LN versions so will defer to someone who has.

Cliff
‘The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Charles Bukowski
I have the LN vises on my traditional bench: couldn't be more pleased with them. No experience with the BC vises.
I have the LN screws on the bench I built (with the chain) and the are without a doubt very nice. They have roller bearings where the handle bears on the chop for a very smooth action. But on a general utility bench I have a Hovarter quick release "screw" with the chain for a quick release no pin leg vise and it works very well, wish he had come out with it before I built my bench.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
I have Horvarter twin and tail vises on my bench. I love them. They are a precision install and a little different from anything else, but after some use, I really like them.

There are NO screws. So to put a box in the twin vise, I just slide it open, put the box in with my left hand, use my hip to snug the vise face and make a 1/4 - 1/2 turn and the box is tight. Simple.

Installing the Twin vise and tail vise on one side is a challenge. This should be carefully design before you set the legs etc.

Interesting find ... I just went to the website. It seems that Len ( Horvarter ) has something new coming. So he is VERY actively involved in a better design. Horvarter Web Site.

My Bench Build

Link for Horvarter specific build days

Bartee ><>
mysaw.com/blog
An inexpensive alternative is to mount a Moxxon vise, permanently.

I adopted David Barron's approach, adding sintered bronze bushings
to the small adjustment knobs but without the return springs.

The basic layout is shown on his blog:
http://davidbarronfurniture.blogspot.com...-vice.html

Search YouTube for a video of the modifications to the wheels,
and installation of the return springs (which I don't need, as my
assembly has far less play - the bushings keep things in place).

It's rock-steady and a fraction of the cost of the Hovarter
(which I consider to be the pinnacle of this design).
I think you need two vises a front vise and an end vise.

For an endvise, I really like the wagon wheel type vise, but for the bench I'm about to start on, I'm pretty set on going with the traditional tail vise. I think its time-tested and extremely versatile.

Front vise: I like the idea of a Roubo style leg vise combined with the sliding dog fixture (whatever its called).

The vise that's shown is also good.

I think a benchtop Moxon is the best way to go if your back is needing it.
I am in the process of installing a Veritas Twin Screw on the front of my bench. I couldn't' bring myself to spring for the Horvarter, but I love that design. If I were building a leg vise I'd do it this way.
Leg Vise with a Linear Bearing

I still may put one of these on the back of my bench if I don't end up putting it against the wall. the linear bearing has all the advantages of the BC cross design but is way cheaper.