Wiring question.
My son is taking a welding course at the local community college and purchased a used Lincoln 220 v welder from CL. I need to run a 220 v circuit of about 35 feet in length to the garage. I've done some basic wiring, running a few extra circuits to my basement shop etc. but by no means do I consider myself proficient at wiring. I need some guidance as far as wire type and double breaker size before proceeding. I have looked at a couple of you tube videos but they were rather generic in nature and I want to make sure I properly wire for a welder. Thanks in advance for any help.
danceswithticks said:

...purchased a used Lincoln 220 v welder from CL. .......I want to make sure I properly wire for a welder.

Find the model and serial number of the welder.
Go to http://www.millerwelds.com/service/ownersmanuals.php
Download the manual.

It will have all the electrical specs, plus a bunch of others stuff.

Then go to
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.p...ode-(2014)
(Is it forbidden to mention "that other forum"??)

Check the applicable wiriing size and techniques, or come back here after finding out the electrical requirements.

Assuming an attached garage within city limits???
You need to know the specs on the welder. Either post the wiring specs from the manual or provide the make/model so we can look it up.

Considering you will likely need a fairly heavy wire gauge, I'd definitely consider just going whole hog and putting in a sub-panel and surface mount wiring to the welder plug and have power available for whatever else you want in the future.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
I'm surprised there isn't something on the welder itself. I would venture to say that if you google the model number you should be able to find your answer. 220 itself is easy but you are right to look for the breaker and wire size.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
50 amps is about the standard for a home use welding plug. You'll need 6ga wire.
Mike

Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Thanks, you're spot on. I did a little dirt cleaning and did found the spec sticker that I thought was missing. Thanks all for the help.