Steel City 16" OE Sander
I have been considering getting a G0454 20" planner with spiral cutters, $2,625 The other day I was having some work done around the house and a very reputable worker told me he has this OE Sander that he (Randy) bought for a long term part time work. But the guy he started to do the work for up and moved. Randy said it's covered and in the way and will sell it to me for $425, bottom line. I only have a 12" Delta planner now and am looking for an upgrade.
Is this a possible gloat?
Jim
What's an OE sander? I'm confused...
"The things I make may be for others, but how I make them is for me." -Tony Konovaloff
"Have nothing in your house which you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." - William Morris
Oscillating edge sander = oes
Guessing you meant drum sander and not oe sander (why you planer width mattered). You sand glue ups you have not planed.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I think he may mean open ended belt sander. If so at 425 I'd probably take it if it is the wide one.
Robert Adams said:

I think he may mean open ended belt sander. If so at 425 I'd probably take it if it is the wide one.

Good call

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Robert Adams said:

That would make sense, and that MIGHT be a good deal depending on the model... but it's not a good replacement for a planer. They're two different tools.
"The things I make may be for others, but how I make them is for me." -Tony Konovaloff
"Have nothing in your house which you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." - William Morris
Yea, Open End Drum Sander so I can sand up to almost 32"
Jim
kompera said:

but it's not a good replacement for a planer. They're two different tools.

I disagree, I know a guy that makes a lot of furniture, etc. with only using the drum sander. He doesn't have a planer and he's been doing this for more than 25 years.
Jim
Halfathumb said:

[blockquote]kompera said:

but it's not a good replacement for a planer. They're two different tools.

I disagree, I know a guy that makes a lot of furniture, etc. with only using the drum sander. He doesn't have a planer and he's been doing this for more than 25 years.

[/blockquote]

And he probably buys his wood pre-thicknessed at the lumberyard.

Try taking a stack of rough 8/4 boards down to 1.25" with a drum sander, count how many rolls of paper you burn through, and then tell me it's a good replacement for a planer...

I'm not saying you CAN'T thickness with a sander, but I stand by calling them very different tools.
he has a 12" planer for doing the heavy work.

I think you are on an acceptable path all things considered.

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy