Torsion box
I'm planning to make a box that is 5'6"x 49" wide this weekend. What spacing for internal webbings?

I'm planning 10" spacings, using 1/2" MDF skins, and 3" thick webbing out of MDF. the size is to support my CNC table, so it needs to be solid but won't be supporting huge weights either.

Thoughts/comments/concerns?
My Day Job
well, bye.
Its gonna be super strong.

I know I made a bench long ago, that was about 6' long, and 3' wide....and the grid was 12"OC with 1/2" MDF with 1/2" skins, and it was rock solid.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

There is one on this Ultimate tool stand. Built one, u can park a tank on it. May give u some ideas.
http://christophermerrill.net/ww/plans/U...and_1.html
Saratoga, NY
maybe i'll push it out to 12" grids. If yours was solid, i will be in good shape. glue and pnuematic nails? I've an 18 gauge stapler i was figuring i would use.
My Day Job
well, bye.
thats what I did.

It was no where near what people on the net make....I just tack nailed it with 18g, and glued the heck out of it. Knowing what I know now, I would have taken more time, but it was still solid.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

A recent torsion box I built, I clamped around the edges and set 5 gallon pails full of water around on the center where clamps could not reach. At 8 pounds per gallon, they add a good deal of weight where wanted pretty easily.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
packerguy® said:

Its gonna be super strong.

I know I made a bench long ago, that was about 6' long, and 3' wide....and the grid was 12"OC with 1/2" MDF with 1/2" skins, and it was rock solid.

Like this one:

Anyone see any bending? The guy standing on top in the center weighs 200 lb.
Rip to width. Plane to thickness. Cut to length. Join.
When I built my assembly/work table.... It's 4x8 with 5/8 top and 1/4 bottom. Webbing is full length and width pieces that all interlock IE all strip are notched. Webbing is about 4" tall and about 6" on center. It's extremely strong.

Also the plywood was re purposed 1960 vintage Douglas fir ply which is way better than any ply you can buy today.
MDF skins and MDF webbing doesn't seem like a good plan to me. IMHO non directional grain materials glued together would sag over time as the material is just as strong or weak in one direction as it is in another. So the webbing or the skin could go into compression and the other into tension. It just me, but I'd use plywood for the webbing with the grain running parallel to the skins. Maybe I'm wrong
RP
MDf has been used in this fashion for yrs and yrs for this exact purpose.

it will be just fine.

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy