Suggestions for wall hanging of swords and long guns
I just repainted my home office/den. I took my time and made a lot of measurements in getting the pictures and documents re-hung in a logical and organized manner. I saved a section of the wall over the "cleaning bench" for the swords and long guns. They were just hanging from 16 penny nails, but I don't want to go that route. I'd like to avoid the classic gun rack deal, and am open to suggestions...

Drive in a long finishing nail and drill a hole in the back side of a spindle and slide it over the nail? These are antiques, not hunting arms. So, not deer feet.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
I've got several swords hanging on my walls and have gone with a small plaque for many of them. Put either some black felt-covered pieces of metal or dowels angling up a little wider than the blade to hang the sword vertical; sword is supported by the hilt. They're extremely quick & easy to make and are unobtrusive and secure (as long as gravity works ), allowing the sword to be fully exposed and easy to grab. This approach is targeted for broadswords & wouldn't work too well for katanas, wakisashis, or other eastern design swords.
"I'm glad being trapped in the woods hunted by an insane militia made you ask the big life questions."

Check out my Project Blog
Jim
I had mine on antique coat hooks old burnished brass ones in my last home
I recently moved and have not got around to rehanging them
if often though old iron black smith type hooks would be cool for antique wall hangers
I mounted my great grandfather's cane on a simple walnut board with a profiled edge. The cane is secured with two pieces of wire. It can be hung anywhere, like a framed photo or a painting. (Sorry for the poor quality photo. The morning sun is streaming in through the window where the cane hangs.)

You might Google "pool table hooks"
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
Shaker style pegs - size adjusted to be long enough and knob part sized right to get on and off and still be secure. Vintage appropriate if that is what you are looking for.
If it's hooks you're looking for, these stainless steel ones from Lee Valley are excellent. They're available in many sizes and shapes and are plenty strong enough to hold heavy guns. I use them to hang tools on my shop wall.
I made this sort of shadow box for a friend's grandfather's old rifle of walnut. No front or back, per the customer.