New Addition
I posted last week asking about Jet's floor-standing mortiser. Well, I bit the bullet and purchased this used machine:

It has been very lightly used and it came with 1/2" and 3/8" chisel sets and a complete set of bushings for different chisel shanks. I cleaned off some light surface rust yesterday and adjusted the gibs so it runs true and smooth. It looks like a new machine. $500.

Thanks for the responses to my earlier post. You nudged me over the edge. Now I can get rid of my little Delta bench-top, which has been the bane of my existence for years.

Hank
I don't use my mortiser often but when I do it's really nice to have. Nice machine.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Beautiful. I just ordered a Powermatic floor model from Woodcraft when they ran that 15% off Jet and Powermatic to replace my Delta benchtop. Nice score!

David
Very cool. I've been on edge when similar machines pop up on Craigslist. Seeing shows like the wood whisperer definitely makes me want to buy one but it would just take too much space in my shop and I don't think I would get enough benefit (personally) to justify the cost as well as the space.

Id love one of those. Especially for 5 bills.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Great addition. I have a generic model, not as nice as your new Jet, but it has the X-Y tables like yours.. awesome feature, worth it..

Good on ya ..
Hank: I see you only got two chisels, which can be expensive. Somewhere in my shop I have a set of maybe 5 or 6 Jet mortise chisels with bits that I got with a drill press attachment when I bought my Jet drillpress years ago. Maybe, just maybe, I've used one bit once or twice, the others are likely still covered with cosmoline. If you're interested, let me know and I'll go dig them out and give you the shank measurements, I have little or no doubt they would fit your new machine but one should check, and I'll take some pics. I'm thinking $20 plus shipping. OH, and its a nice machine, really nice. Rich
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Nice score----I have the Jet bench top and it's OK---but if I did any more mortises than I do now, I'd sure be tempted by that floor model.

BTW----best place I've found for chisels/drills and sharpening equipment is Lee Valley. Not cheap but if you take care of them, they do last. Just remember to use a bit of teflon spray on them before you start the job----will help prevent burning let alone awful noise.
Dave
Congrats!

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Thanks, all, for the comments. Dave, I appreciate the teflon spray suggestion. I burned up a 1/4" bit the first time I used my little Delta benchtop machine, so i've been particularly cautious about setting the head space between the chisel and the bit. Reminds me of setting the head space on a 50 cal. machine gun, and the consequences of error are similar. I'll sure give the teflon spray a try; it will give me a little extra margin of comfort.

Hank