Concrete Driveway Repair/Fix Question
I just had a concrete driveway installed at my home by a concrete company. It all looks good (3000 sq ft) except for the section right in front of the two car garage. There are divits, uneven places and some actual footprints in the concrete. This particular section of concrete was poured on Friday, 8/7. I contacted the contractor and he's coming out tomorrow night to look at it and see what can be done. What's the right way to fix this? I'm guessing the only correct way of doing it is by cutting it out and replacing it. I'd imagine that putting a slurry of concrete on top will not be a long term repair. Since I know very little about concrete, I'm trying to get ready for him to arrive tomorrow and be prepared for whatever he says to fix it. I've attached some pictures so you can see what I'm talking about.

I have not paid the guy any money at this point and it isn't a cheap driveway by any means. But if you guys say this is acceptable and I should be happy with it, I'll cut him a check tomorrow when he gets here. But I'm not happy with it and I think it really makes my home look like crap. We had color added to the concrete so it would accent our home, not expecting the actual concrete pour to detract from it. I certainly understand it will take some time for the color to completely even out but the concrete itself will not. It's tough to see but there are also some voids that go fairly deep. Like I said, I think the best fix is to cut the bad sections out and replace. The sections that are bad all came from one concrete truck and the contractor said the concrete just didn't seem right. He thinks the truck was held up at the plant too long. I dunno, can a concrete contractor refuse a load of concrete? Guess we'll see what he says tomorrow. Thanks for any help.
There are ways to smooth most of that out. I saw contractors do a fix on a sidewalk that a kid walked on. It was a few days after.

Don't know about filling in. I would think there's a way to do that also.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
It hasn't cured yet so there might be hope.Still no matter what topping he adds it will never be as good as one solid slab of concrete.
he can grind and ruin what finish there is.
he can fill will slurry and have it pop out in a few weeks.
or he can do it the correct and really only way that will work long term, and that is to cut it out and repour. Imo for a new drive the only acceptable way is to cut and repour. anything else is a stop gap to get the money and will not last for the long haul. Again cut the bad out and repour and get some finishers in that know how to finish concrete on time and not let it set up on them. He will probably suggest the slurry and grind method, why cause he thinks it will save some bucks and time, usually just end up taking it out to make it good. Nothing from my days of pouring miles of mud ever worked long term for a top coat. Maybe in the last ten yrs. something was developed but I doubt that it work on a drive in front of a garage. you contracted for a proper job and the mud got away from them before they could put a finish on it. the only sure fix is removal and replace anything else is just a hope shot.
If it were my driveway there would be no conversation other than when are you going to cut this section out snd repour?

Cut and repour. And he can I stall the drainage flue against the garage so water goes in it instead of into the garage.

Typically the driveway would be 2" below the garage floor. I personally hate that lop and have twisted ankles tripped etc on them. A drain channel is the best. Catches water and eliminates the trip hazard.
Have to agree with Restorer cut it out and repour.
That is some of the worst concrete finishing I have seen in a long time. Was the driveway inspected by your city or county? What does the inspector think about the finish and what are his recommendations? Did you sign a contract? What construction specifications were included with the contract? What short- and long-term guarantees?

The poorly-finished area appears to be fairly large. What percentage of the total 3000 s.f. is it?

If you want to do some reading....

http://www.cement.org/think-harder-concr.../driveways

http://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete/...asics.html

http://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete/...epair.html

http://www.concretenetwork.com/slip-resi...inish.html
It needs to come out. And don't let the guy off the hook until you are happy with the new pour. It can be difficult to get one pour match another. I would want the whole thing replaced.

Twinn
Will post for food.
That looks like the worst concrete job I ever saw. If the rest is as bad I would have him replace the whole job