Plastic sheets
Looking for a source for opaque plastic sheets of various colors such as reds blues and greens with a thickness of .032 or close. Used for segmenting pen blanks. A link would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
John T.
I am having trouble thinking of a type of plastic that would be truly opaque at that thickness and that could be reliably glued into segments.

That thickness is just a little bit off from both 1/32" (0.03125") and 0.8mm (0.03150). So that exact thickness may be hard to find unless you make it yourself.

Are you looking to build up the entire blank from these layers or will you be layering it with other materials? If other materials, what does the glue need to bond this plastic to?

If you are not looking to heat weld the layers (which would give you color mixing in the weld), my WAG is that you need a thermosetting plastic rather than a thermoplastic plastic.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
iclark said:

I am having trouble thinking of a type of plastic that would be truly opaque at that thickness and that could be reliably glued into segments.

That thickness is just a little bit off from both 1/32" (0.03125") and 0.8mm (0.03150). So that exact thickness may be hard to find unless you make it yourself.

Are you looking to build up the entire blank from these layers or will you be layering it with other materials? If other materials, what does the glue need to bond this plastic to?

If you are not looking to heat weld the layers (which would give you color mixing in the weld), my WAG is that you need a thermosetting plastic rather than a thermoplastic plastic.

1/32" would do. I am using both to use as accent and also I would like to build with them. i have the glue. Acrylic would work fine. I have used pickguard material before but would like just plain colors. It is the edge that will be seen and not the face.
John T.
Try looking at Pick Guard material from instrument suppliers .I think grizzly carries some.
I can't remember the brand name, but the heat shrink type mylar film that is used for model airplane wings and bodies should work, and with heat will adhere to different surfaces. Any one who makes models should have tons of scraps. Monocoat or some thing like that. Some were transparent, some see through.

robo hippy
Is there a specific color(s) that you need?
JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Looking for a source for opaque plastic sheets of various colors such as reds blues and greens with a thickness of .032 or close. Used for segmenting pen blanks. A link would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I like Tap Plastics http://www.tapplastics.com/product/plast...eets_rolls
Peter Brown

I can fix that...

shop-time.net
My suggestion would be to head to the local dollar store and see what they had in plastic party plates.
These should be around the thickness that you want.
Typically these will be a polystyrene /polystyrene blend. This can be glued with CA glue.
You could also go to a party outlet store, but you might spend more than a dollar.
Here's another source. You can get thicknesses all the way up to 1/8" for many colored sheets.

http://www.grafixplastics.com/vinyl.asp
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Dusty Workshop said:

My suggestion would be to head to the local dollar store and see what they had in plastic party plates.
These should be around the thickness that you want.
Typically these will be a polystyrene /polystyrene blend. This can be glued with CA glue.
You could also go to a party outlet store, but you might spend more than a dollar.

That's a great idea.
Peter Brown

I can fix that...

shop-time.net