Bench build
I posted my Bob Lang bench in the Woodworking section. Not all hand tool built so I didn't put it here, but I'm learning a ton about using them in the process.

I finally got the end vice on and played with planing a solidly mounted board on a rock solid bench and wow what a difference a heavy bench makes!
For those of us who could not find this....

Post link
Bartee ><>
mysaw.com/blog
few more pics posted. Some hot plane-on-bench-top action shots.
Nicely done, Sir.

The integrated front skirt/stretcher is a great idea.
Leaving clearance allows clamping options not available on a
Nicholson. I'm a recent convert to split tops, myself.

Will you put in a reversible batten down the middle, or removable
tool trays? That has become the most use holding feature on mine.

The best time of year to fit such dividers is right now - things
will never be tighter than they are in mid-August.

Kudos
Thanks. The front clamping always made sense to me in this design. Tool trays are my plan with 1 or 2 of the 4 trays having square holes for vertical chisel etc. storage.

I didn't think about reversible battens. Do you have a link or pic showing what you mean by that. When I think batten, I think of the long flat piece of wood with a 45 deg notch in one end. Held with a holdfast. Are there other types? You have me thinking about one tray with an integrated lateral planing stop.

Re wood movement. Yup august in Maryland is humid. When I mounted the top I slotted the inner lag bolt hole in the base front to back. Tool trays will rattle a bit in winter but that should keep the front edge and legs in better alignment.
http://s414.photobucket.com/user/Anji123...amp;page=1

The batten I made is two boards made from the same plank.
It's the opposite of book matching - to get the grain running the same way, but the growth rings in opposition.

There are two notches in each long board, to drop over the bearers.

Right side up, the notches engage and the top is flush.

Other side up, and there's about 3/8" proud.

In practice, the assembly is so snug that I just tap the works up
when I want a planing stop, and persuade it back down when finished.

The main appeal of this is to have through clamping clearance with between the blocks. I work mainly on the corners of my benches
and this allows me to clamp from the middle, rather than outside
of the bench.

Wish I had done this sooner.

Let me know by PM if the Photobucket link doesn't work for you.
Nice idea for the batten. And agree the split top will be something I wish I did sooner. You have me thinking about how I could integrate this batten into my tool trays in the center. A long plank with vertical slots, mounted on the back face of the top could work. Or similarly the a second piece inside the tool tray could slide up. The tray would need pins to keep it from sliding. Anyone done something similar?

I'll likely buy the veritas planing stops to insert into the dog holes that would essentially do the same function. I also plan to try the notched batten and a hold fast against a bench dog too.

BTW I have the same HNT Gordon Trying Plane. That tool is amazing! Minor gloat: When he got out of woodworking, a friend of my father in law gave it to me along with Stanley #5,6,7 planes. Some hand drills and other misc. tools. He wanted someone to use them and I was happy to help.