Need some help on a tool
At Menards they have a Hitachi 12" sliding compound miter saw on sale for $389.99. Is the price good?

I have been saving for a window air conditioner since mine broke down about a month ago. When I walked into Menards to see the air conditioner I want to get I seen the Hitachi on sale.

I really need one to help me and the other vets I teach but I need an air conditioner a lot as well.
What would you guys do?

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
If you can only have one or the other i would get the AC!!!!
You can always find a cheap miter saw pawn shop craigslist cpo whatever...

My air conditioning is worth every penny and more! I keep my shop at 70*.

Is it the c12rsh compact sliding miter saw? If so lowes is $399 regular price for it. With a veteran discount you can get 10% off that. Not sure if that helps. I don't know your location so maybe you don't have a lowes near you.

Edit: also I forgot if you know someone at lowes or a buddy, in November or December, not sure exact date but lowes offers 20% off to employees for a couple days or something like that. So that may be an option for you too. Maybe make a new friend
I do not know but it has the rails forward.

There is a Lowes about 45 miles away but I have not driven yet since 2008.

We need both of them but I can not really afford either one of them but with my physical disabilities I can not work in a hot garage either.

Also I do not make friends just for a discount.

So thank you guys for your advise.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

Arlin, is that $390 after the 11% rebate? If not, you would get another 11% off which would make it a good price. That said, I think I would still go with the AC...if it's so hot you can't work in your shop the miter saw isn't going to get used much.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
AC. Don't confuse yourself, the miter saw will come in time. Stay cool.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
You say you're teaching vets----to do home framing/construction? FWIW, I'd teach people with a circular saw instead. First, they're more common on the job site and besides, once you've learned to use one properly, using a compound slider miter saw is a short learning curve.

Besides,---while you didn't specify where you needed the AC----for me---it's bad enough to put up with heat during the day---but if it's not cool at night, I need an AC to cool down the room because sleeping in the heat is miserable.
Dave
I do have a idea that would could help.

Having a Radial Arm Saw would be even better and cost less so maybe I should look for a nice Dewalt or Craftsman in the 1960 time frame.

What do you guys think one would cost?

If someone will do a "go fund me" page or paypal link, or something like that, I would be willing to chip in $20 towards a saw or AC. Come on, 20 of us kicking in $20 for a veteran who is teaching other veterans a trade is well worth it IMHO.

Or, if you have a Paypal account Arlin, let us know the email you use with it and we can send a little to help out.

Brew
Get the A/C Arlin. Take care of yourself, you deserve it.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone