heavy scissors
anybody recognize this pair of scissors as belonging to a particular trade?

I don't want to brag, but some of my wood is on its 2nd or 3rd project!
Looks like a pair of leather shears to me. Often, one blade is serrated.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Just a guess, but it looks appropriate for upholstery or cutting fiberglass mat or cloth.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Leather work, or sail maker's scissors.
I can't be sure but it's possible the blades have been shortened..I don't know of a trade that uses scissors like that.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Timberwolf said:

I can't be sure but it's possible the blades have been shortened..I don't know of a trade that uses scissors like that.

It's possible they were ground short by the user, but they look very similar to this current offering by Solingen. Marketed as leather and upholstery shears. Most modern version have the snub nose for the upper blade and a pointed nose for the lower blade. The one the OP posted has both upper and lower blades snub.

From Solingen. Textilia leather and upholstery shears:
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
If they were shortened by the owner, the lines left by the grinder "may" be visible at the end of each blade, and that would indicate whether or not they were manufactured the way they are now. The "three finger" grip and the strong hinge joint would indicate they were made for cutting heavy material like leather, fabric etc...Lots of cutlery manufacturers have been based in Solingen for centuries, as you probably know..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Dave, I'm almost certain that your shears are a cut-down pair of heavy scissors. In a former life, I worked in a garment manufacturing plant. The [fabric] cutting department used scissors with the exact handles and hinge yours has, except they were about 12 or 14 inches long. Moreover, the tips of most shears and scissors meet at the point rather than crossing as yours do. The fact that yours cross indicates to me that the blades have been substantially shortened. Nevertheless, I'll bet you have a very stout and powerful pair of shears.
My $.02,

Hank
If not this exact model, it was for this purpose Heavy Duty Tailor's Scissors.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Steve N said:

If not this exact model, it was for this purpose Heavy Duty Tailor's Scissors.

I have 2 pr of those, I used as a carpet installer.