Re-grading around house....
Hi gang,

Quick question...new to me home...this spring we pulled out all of the old shrubs from the front of the house exposing some really poor grading. Stuck with a little head scratcher on this one however. In the first picture you can see that there is a little bump-out for the window. The siding there is freshly painted cedar.

In the second-wider shot...that window is on the left and you can see just how much soil I need to add to bring that section back up so that the water sheds away from the house.

The only thing I am concerned with is what to do about that bump out. I'll need to add soil up to the siding...and then probably cover/bury at least 2 to 3 inches of it. There is a well established maple on the right of the second picture...so I don't have any real option of trying to shave the rest of the ground down....any ideas on how best to proceed with this? My painting contractor (also has general home improvement guys) thought he could make up an aluminum "flashing" and form fit it to the underside of the bump and carry it up as high as I need. Seems reasonable, but thought I would throw it up here for any other ideas.

First:

Second:

Thanks for any ideas/advice!
Kevin
If you bury the siding, it will rot and insects will begin to enter. That is a bad idea. Based on the wider shot, I would try removing the stone (retaining) wall. A line drawn from the current soil line at the foundation to the base of the maple tree shows a downward slope. Not a large slope, but a sloping away none the less.

If you cannot slope it directly towards the right of the picture, you might get more slope by also grading to a low point between the walkway and the stone wall, and sloping just that section more steeply and away from the house.

It looks like a lot of dirt to move around. I would suggest a stack of grade stakes, a laser level, and renting a small excavator.

brnhornt said:

I'll need to add soil up to the siding.

no don't. you'll cause as many problems as you're trying to solve.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

It looks like the built up the area to make a raised plant bed you may be able to remove the blocks and rearrange the dirt that is there or put a french drain in
I agree with the other comments. DO NOT (sorry for yelling) bury your siding. You WILL create some serious problems. You should keep the grade line you now have next to the foundation and do what is necessary to get good drainage away from the foundation starting with that. It looks to me that the wall (or part of it) has got to go. I suggest a minimum slope of 1' vert. for every 50' horiz (2%). Anthony's diagram is good.

Is it just lens distortion or does the brick paving slope toward the foundation? If it does, it needs to be redone.

I also agree that you need some grade stakes and a level. If you don't have a laser level (or an old optical one), search the internet on how to make a water level. All you need is a container of some sort (1 gal is enough) and a couple of dollars worth of 1/4" clear tubing. It's quick, cheap, and just as accurate as any other level.
How high is the lowest spot at the house from the bottom of the yard? Do you have a couple feet to work with or inches?

I'd remove that little retaining wall and the paver walkway. It shouldn't slop towards the house. It looks like the step up is a little too high anyway.

Dig yourself a french drain along the house with the bottom higher than the lowest spot (your drain field) of the yard. 1/4" slope per foot of drain pipe is recommended. Dig the hole a few inches deeper than you need and pack the bottom with clay. Lay a good quality landscape fabric in the hole. Drop perforated corrugated pipe in it with a "T" at the lowest point and add a non perforated pipe from the "T" down hill to an exposed drain. back fill with stone, wrap the landscape fabric over everything and cover it with pavers or more stone. Then properly grade the walkway and set new pavers.

Also, send 2Beast a PM and get his input. This is his thing.

Or get rid of the tree, properly grade and plant a new tree.
Are you sure you can't just remove that little wall and redo the paver walkway and grade the yard. All it needs is an uninterrupted slope to shed water away from the house. Rebuild the walk way when you're done.
I have a very similar problem and it caused extra humidity in the basement. I solved it by putting in a inconspicuous ditch that ran around to the side. Unfortunately, my daughter did some landscaping and filled in the ditch. Redoing it is on the list. Maybe this time I'll put in a French drain
No...it's not an optical effect...the walk definitely slopes to the house as well and definitely is a large step up as well. Pulling it out is on the docket for next year.

Thanks for the replies...looks like I will be avoiding any plan that includes burying the siding.
If you re-grade that walkway down towards the curb, you could cut a trough along one or both sides and put river rocks in for decoration. Just slope the ground toward them and use them to shed the water.

You could even use the castle wall stones on top of the gravel on both sides of the new steps/walkway. Stick some black drain pipe down in the stone under the castle stone to carry away the water.